Located in the New York metropolitan area, Sterling National Bank provides a decent variety of account options. To find out if Sterling National Bank is right for you, continue reading the review below.
At Sterling National Bank, all their checking account are free to open and easy to maintain also! The only catch is you have to do extra work (call the bank) to find out additional information such as interest rate earnings or benefits yourself.
Table of Contents
- 1 Checking Account Options
- 2 Compare Checking Accounts
- 3 Savings Account Options
- 4 Compare Savings Accounts
- 5 Money Market Account Options
- 6 Compare Money Market Accounts
- 7 Reasons to Bank with Sterling National Bank
- 8 Reasons Not to Bank with Sterling National Bank
- 9 Sterling National Bank Routing Number
- 10 Contact Customer Service
- 11 How Sterling National Bank Compares
- 12 Bottom Line
Checking Account Options
Sterling Bank has various checking accounts that are all free to open! None of their checking accounts require a minimum opening deposit.
This is a standard checking account and it doesn’t require an opening deposit!
There are also no monthly fees nor minimum balance requirements either.
This checking account also doesn’t require an opening deposit.
There’s a monthly fee of $10, but it can be waived if you keep a daily balance of $1,500.
You won’t need a minimum deposit to open this account and you can start earning interest as well.
There’s a $15 monthly fee, but if you maintain $2,500 as a daily balance you can waive it.
This is Sterling National Bank’s only interest earning checking account and you will need $2,000 to open it.
There is also a $15 monthly fee, but if you maintain a daily balance of at least $2,000 you can get it waived.
This account is designed for students who want to manage their money early.
There is no minimum opening deposit to open this account. There are also no monthly fees nor minimum balance requirements.
Compare Checking Accounts
Savings Account Options
Sterling National Bank has a very small selection of savings accounts that have pretty low minimum requirements.
This is Sterling National Bank’s basic savings account and you will need $25 to open it.
There is also a monthly fee of $5, but you can waive it by keeping a daily balance of $500.
This account earns variable interest.
This savings account is free if you already have a Premium Checking account, otherwise it’s $25 to open.
This account earns little interest.
This is a savings account for students under the age of 24, so it is recommended for exiting high school students and college students mostly.
You will need $25 to open this account, and $100 as a daily balance to start earning interest.
There are no monthly fees to worry about however.
Compare Savings Accounts
Open a Discover Online Savings Account for all these features:
• Bonus offer applies for your first Discover Online Savings Account
• Earn $200/$150 Bonus with promo code HMB622 by 09/15/2022
• Fund your first savings account with at least of $25K within 30 days of account open date to earn the $200 Bonus
• Fund your first savings account with at least of $15K within 30 days of account open date to earn the $150 Bonus
• Earn high interest rate of 1.60% APY
• No minimum opening deposit, no minimum balance requirement, and now no fees
• Interest on Discover Online Savings Accounts is compounded daily and credited monthly
• Manage your account online or with the Discover mobile app
• FDIC insurance up to $250,000
See advertiser website for full details
Money Market Account Options
Money Market accounts allow for a higher yield and gives access to your funds with either checks or a bankcard.
Sterling National Bank has a money market that earns decent interest rates.
Sterling National Bank Money Market:
- Need a minimum deposit of $2,500 to open and earn interest
- Offers 5 rate tiers
- No monthly fee
Compare Money Market Accounts
• Get started and open a Discover Money Market Account in 3 easy steps.
• Available nationwide online
• Earn high yields with flexible access to your cash.
• Earn 1.55% APY balances $100,000 and over
• Earn 1.50% APY balances under $100,000
• Open with as little as $2,500.
• No hidden fees. No surprises.
• Easy cash access via debit or check, or via ATM at over 60,000 no-fee ATMs
With the CIT Bank Money Market Account, you can earn a competitive interest rate and access your money easily.
• Earn 1.00% APY on your funds
• One of the nation's top rates — several times the national average.
• Get up to 6 digital transfers/withdrawals per statement cycle
• Save smart and get more for your money
• Higher rates than traditional banks
• Get 24/7 Account Access
• Secure banking features
• Open with as little as $100
• FDIC insured
Reasons to Bank with Sterling National Bank
- All their checking accounts are free to open, none of them require an opening deposit.
- Their accounts don’t require too high of requirements.
- They have a good selection of checking accounts.
- They have a 24-hour automated telephone banking service line.
- People who live in the New York metropolitan area and prefer to go to a physical branch would benefit the most.
Reasons Not to Bank with Sterling National Bank
- Their site is not very detailed. There are barely any benefits listed for any of their accounts.
- They seem to prefer customers to speak to them at a physical branch more.
- If you don’t live in New York, this bank would be useless since they lack posting detailed information.
Sterling National Bank Routing Number
The routing number for Sterling National Bank is 221970443.
Contact Customer Service
Sterling National Bank has a 24-hour telephone banking service line that you can reach at 1 (855)-762-7500.
To speak to a customer representative instead, these are the available hours:
- Monday – Friday at 8 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- Saturday at 8:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
How Sterling National Bank Compares
- Chase Bank: Chase is one of the biggest banks in the U.S and offers just about almost everything. Compared to its other competitors, Chase offers much more checking account options.
- Discover Bank: Discover Bank is also an online nationwide bank that offers bonuses for their checking and savings accounts! You can earn cash back rewards when you open a checking account and generous bonuses for opening a savings one.
- PNC: Also having a New York location, PNC Bank offers free access to f PNC Bank ATMs, free mobile/online banking, reimbursement of PNC fees for use of non-PNC ATMs, and many other features that can be found on their website. They have several account options.
- Wells Fargo: Located throughout the US with over 5,800 branches and 13,000 ATMs. They offer a variety of deposits accounts, including accounts for teens and customers who need a second chance.
Overall, Sterling National Bank seems to advertise itself as a bank that would be better to visit in person.
Even though they have a decent selection of account options, the lack of information on the site makes it hard for customers to bank online (unless you call them).
For those who do live in New York and prefer speaking a customer representative directly, perhaps this bank would suit you more.
However, keep in mind that when you look for a checking or savings account be sure to look into all the fees charged. Don’t focus on the interest rate alone, but on what the account will cost you overall.
If you are interested in checking out other banks in the New York area, click here.