Looking for a simple way to manage your money? With PNC Bank, you’ll receive a ton of financial tools and have a variety of checking and savings accounts. To find out if PNC Bank Bank is right for you, continue reading the review below.
Located near the east coast, PNC Bank has over 2600 branches in 19 states. If you don’t live close to a branch, they do offer online banking services.
PNC Bank also has a specialized, combined invest account called the Virtual Wallet to help keep all your banking accounts in one area.
In addition to that, PNC works with college students at universities, encouraging youth to start saving money early and be knowledgeable of finance.
Table of Contents
The Virtual Wallet is an all-in-one mobile app that provides access to a checking, savings, and investment account.
These accounts are referred to as Spend, Reserve, and Growth. Spend is for your day to day transactions, Reserve is for short term savings, and Growth is for long term savings and allows you to grow your money supply.
The virtual wallet also comes with other benefits. Through its dashboard or mobile app, you can do the following:
This is a financial calendar. You’ll see when you get paid next, how much money you’ll spend on bills, how much you are spending and more importantly, where you spent your money.
Pay your bills on time with Virtual Wallet’s Bill Pay by setting up recurring payments. If you prefer to make your payments yourself, you can set up reminders to avoid those late payments.
Get advanced warnings of overdrafts. This also allows you to transfer money over from your Reserve account.
You can set you up your goals by distributing money towards each of them. With Wish List, you can watch your money grow and slowly turn them into a reality.
You can set up budgets for each category and receive notifications to let you know when you are over your limit or about to be over it.
You can automatically set a specific percentage of each paycheck and transfer it directly into your savings account.
On the Virtual Wallet app, you can navigate over to the Piggy Bank and “punch it” (shake your smartphone) to transfer money over to your Growth account.
The cool thing about PNC Bank is that you can pair any of your checking accounts with Virtual Wallet. Minimum balance requirements and monthly fees with vary based on tiers.
If you need additional information, you can learn more about Virtual Wallet here.
Checking Account Options
The only difference between checking accounts is how big of a bonus you can get. It is recommended that you pair them with Virtual Wallet if you want to get the most out of your checking account.
$300 bonus — make qualified direct deposits totaling $5,000 AND make at least 10 PNC Bank Visa® Debit card purchases.
$200 bonus — make qualified direct deposits totaling $2,000 AND make at least 10 PNC Bank Visa® Debit card purchases.
$50 bonus — make qualified direct deposits totaling $500 AND make at least 10 PNC Bank Visa® Debit card purchases.
This premium checking account offers free checks, unlimited refunds of the charges for use of a non-SunTrust ATM, and access to up to four Essential Checking accounts with no service fee.
You also have the option to get reimbursed on up to three overdraft/returned item fees in a 12-month cycle.
This account does earn interest, but you’ll need a minimum balance of $25,000 to waive the higher monthly service fee.
Compare Checking Accounts
Open your Huntington 25 Checking account today and enjoy:
• $500 bonus by making cumulative new money deposits of at least $15,000 within 60 days of account opening. $500 will be deposited in your new account within 14 days of meeting requirements.
• 24-Hour Grace Overdraft Relief. It is designed to give you more time to make a deposit in order to avoid an Overdraft Fee.
• Earn Interest on Balances. 0.10% Annual Percentage Yield applies to all balance tiers.
• Free ATM Withdrawals. They’ll waive all non-Huntington ATM cash withdrawal fees at any ATM and reimburse you for some withdrawal fees charged by another ATM owner.
• Waived Monthly Maintenance Fee
• Credit score and identity monitoring at no added cost
Savings Account Options
PNC offers 2 main saving accounts, standard savings and premiere money market. They offer these accounts in tiers. The higher the tier, the higher the interest rate. Visit their website to learn more about these savings.
A standard savings account that is targeted for children under the age of 18. They use fun images from Sesame Street on their learning center to teach kids about the importance of saving up your money.
This account is designed to help you save your money with unlimited deposits. You can earn interest on it and they will increase overtime.
Compare Savings Accounts
With the CIT Bank Savings Builders account:
• Earn a top tier, competitive APY on your money—one of the top savings rates in the nation. Earn 0.45% APY on your funds - grow your savings faster.
• Build a habit of savings. Pay yourself first. Start with $100 per month and build your habit of savings-—all while getting a top rate.
• FDIC Insured
With the American Express® High Yield Savings Account:
• Earn 0.50% APY on your deposits. Your High Yield Savings account earns interest daily and is posted to your account monthly.
• Links easily with your current bank accounts. No need to switch banks.
• FDIC Insured. Your account is insured to at least $250,000 per depositor.
• No monthly fees, no minimum balance.
• 24/7 Account Access
Open a Discover Online Savings Account for all these features:
• Earn high interest rate of 0.50% APY
• No minimum opening deposit, no minimum balance requirement, and now no fees
• Interest on Discover Online Savings Accounts is compounded daily and credited monthly
• Manage your account online or with the Discover mobile app
• FDIC insurance up to $250,000
See advertiser website for full details
Reasons to Bank with PNC
- With Virtual Wallet, you will get a plethora of budgeting tools to help you plan out your finances. The graphs are easy to read and the color-coded notifications make it easy to realize when you are in danger of going over on your account.
- You can set up automatic overdraft protection with Virtual Wallet.
- If you have proof that you’re enrolled in college, you won’t pay fees for Virtual Wallet. College students at PNC partner colleges may also have access to personal finance education classes.
- Pay bills online completely free of charge.
- Apply for PNC accounts on their website and get a response back in a second.
- Get your ATM fees reimbursed with most PNC accounts. The type of account and your location will determine the maximum amount PNC will cover.
- Transfer money between PNC accounts, from your PNC account to an external account, or to friends/family using PopMoney.
- Make mobile deposits by using the PNC mobile app.
- PNC offers a non-advertised second chance checking account. If you’ve had financial issues in the past and can’t get a traditional checking account, the Foundation Checking account may be a good option to get you started.
Reasons Not to Bank with PNC
- You need at least $500 in your account to avoid fees if you don’t use direct deposit on even the most basic PNC checking account.
- PNC only operates in 19 states. If you don’t live in those 19 states, using non PNC ATM’s can get pretty costly.
- The interest rates offered are fairly low if you use the standard account. PNC reserves their higher interest rates for Virtual Wallet clients and knocks the rates down to next to nothing for standard accounts.
PNC Routing Number
PNC’s routing number varies depending on state. You can find your routing number on the lower left corner of your PNC Bank check, or check out their website.
Contact Customer Service
Reach PNC Customer Service at 1 (888) 762-2265. You’ll be able to call anytime so you can get the help you need with your accounts or any other problems you might have.
If you want to visit them in person, make sure you use their Locator.
How PNC Bank Compares
- Chase Bank: Chase is one of the biggest banks in the U.S and offers just about almost everything. Compared to its other competitors, Chase offers much more checking account options.
- Regions Bank: Regions Bank has a wider variety of savings, CDs, & IRA options to help you save. You can find Regions Bank across 15 states.
- SunTrust Bank: As a Southeastern bank, SunTrust prides themselves in top-tier customer service. SunTrust offers a comparable selection of checking & savings accounts in comparison. However, you’ll need $100 to open an account at SunTrust. The bank also offers a cash back rewards program & a small number of checks come free with each checking account.
- TD Bank: TD Bank has similar options to PNC Bank, and they also offer bonuses for signing up for a checking account. They have various account options that suit all kinds of consumers as well.
If you prefer to have all your banking needs organized in one central app or account, then take advantage of PNC’s Virtual Wallet. PNC goes out of their way to include budgeting tools for those new to banking and encourage youth to open their own savings or checking accounts.
However, keep in mind that when you look for a checking or savings account be sure to look into all the fees charged. Don’t focus on the interest rate alone, but on what the account will cost you overall.
- What Are PNC Bank’s Hours?
- How To Open a PNC Bank Account
- How To Find and Use Your PNC Bank Login
- PNC Bank Routing Number
- What Is PNC Bank’s Cashier’s Check Fee?
|Chase Business Complete BankingSM||$300 Cash||Review|
|Chase Total Checking®||$200 Cash||Review|
|HSBC Premier Checking Member FDIC||$450 Cash||Review|
|HSBC Premier Checking Member FDIC||Up To $600||Review|
|HSBC Advance Checking Member FDIC||$200 Cash||Review|
|HSBC Advance Checking Member FDIC||Up To $240||Review|
|Huntington 25 Checking||$500 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Beyond Checking||$300 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Convenience CheckingSM||$150 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Unlimited Plus Business Checking||$750 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Unlimited Business Checking||$400 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Business Checking 100||$200 Cash||Review|
|Wise Business Banking||$100 Cash||Review|
|Axos Bank Basic Business Checking||$100 Cash||Review|
|Aspiration Spend & Save Account||$100 Cash||Review|
|American Express High Yield Savings||0.50% APY||Review|
|CIT Bank Money Market||0.50% APY||Review|
|Ally Invest||Up to $3,500 Cash||Review|