If customer service is the most important aspect to you when looking for a bank, then SunTrust Bank is here to assist you. To find out if SunTrust Bank is right for you, continue reading the review below.
SunTrust Bank has been around since 1891. Being a major regional bank that operates in southeastern United States, they have more than 1,400 branches and 2,100 ATMs available.
In addition to their very welcoming customer service, they offer interest rates comparable to “big banks,” but have a lot of options to choose from.
They’ve also recently introduced their onUp Movement to help consumers be more financially responsible.
See our best bank bonuses updated daily to earn up to $1,000 in free money. Find popular checking offers such as Chase Bank, HSBC Bank, TD Bank, Huntington Bank, BBVA, Discover Bank, and CIT Bank. See our best rates for Savings and CD too.
|Chase Business Complete BankingSM $300 Bonus||HSBC Premier Checking Up To $600|
|HSBC Premier Checking $450 Bonus||TD Bank Convenience Checking $150 Bonus|
|TD Bank Beyond Checking $300 Bonus||Huntington Business Checking 100 $200 Bonus|
|Huntington 25 Checking $300 Bonus||Huntington Unlimited Plus Business Checking $750 Bonus|
|Huntington Unlimited Business Checking $400 Bonus||Aspiration Spend & Save Account $100 Bonus|
|Ally Invest Up To $3,000 Bonus||Discover Bank $360 Cashback Debit|
|Axos Basic Business Checking $100 Bonus||BlockFi Up To $250 BTC Bonus|
|WeBull 2 Free Stocks|
Table of Contents
- 1 Checking Account Options
- 2 Compare Checking Accounts
- 3 Savings Account Options
- 4 Compare Savings Accounts
- 5 CD Account Options
- 6 Compare CD Accounts
- 7 Reasons to Bank with SunTrust Bank
- 8 Reasons Not to Bank with SunTrust Bank
- 9 SunTrust Bank Routing Number
- 10 Contact Customer Service
- 11 How SunTrust Bank Compares
- 12 Bottom Line
Checking Account Options
Each SunTrust Bank checking account comes with a no-fee online bill pay, no-fee mobile banking and acces to more than 2,000 of their fee-free ATMS.
Along with those, each account also comes with a cash-back bonus if you have a SunTrust Cash Rewards credit card.
Unfortunately, this account in not interest bearing, but you won’t have to worry about overdrafts if you use your Visa debit card.
If you don’t have enough funds in your account, the Visa debit card transaction is declined.
This account also includes a reduced NSF fee.
You also need a minimum $3,000 in order to waive the monthly maintenance fee.
This account requires an average daily balance of $500 to waive the monthly maintenance fees.
You can also waive the fee with 10 banking transactions per month or at least $500 in direct deposits each month.
However, this account also doesn’t earn interest.
This account is interest bearing. You can waive the monthly maintenance fees by having an average $2,000 balance or $2,000 in monthly direct deposits.
You may also have the fee waived if you have $10,000 in combined deposit, mortgage, and loan accounts with SunTrust Bank, have a business account with SunTrust, or have a SunTrust mortgage on automated payments (SurePay).
This premium checking account offers free checks, unlimited refunds of the charges for use of a non-SunTrust ATM, and access to up to four Essential Checking accounts with no service fee.
You also have the option to get reimbursed on up to three overdraft/returned item fees in a 12-month cycle.
This account does earn interest, but you’ll need a minimum balance of $25,000 to waive the higher monthly service fee.
Compare Checking Accounts
Open your Huntington 25 Checking account today and enjoy:
• $300 bonus by making cumulative new money deposits of at least $25,000 within 60 days of account opening. $500 will be deposited in your new account within 14 days of meeting requirements.
• 24-Hour Grace Overdraft Fee Relief. It is designed to give you more time to make a deposit in order to avoid an Overdraft Fee.
• Earn Interest on Balances. 0.05% Annual Percentage Yield applies to all balance tiers.
• Free ATM Withdrawals. They’ll waive all non-Huntington ATM cash withdrawal fees at any ATM and reimburse you for some withdrawal fees charged by another ATM owner.
• Waived Monthly Maintenance Fee
• Credit score and identity monitoring at no added cost
Savings Account Options
SunTrust Bank has few savings account options, but each offer some decent benefits.
This account can be opened with as little as $0.01. The account can also be fee free when you sign up for eStatements rather than paper statements.
This account must be linked to a Select Checking or Signature Advanced Checking account to be eligible for their 1% annual bonus ($25 max).
It also does come with a hefty monthly service fee, but you can waive it with a monthly automatic transfer of $25 from a SunTrust checking account, or a $1,000 average daily balance.
This is a tiered savings account meaning the more money you put in it, the higher the interest rates you’ll earn.
You can waive the monthly service fee with a $5,000 minimum daily balance or $100 automatic transfers from a SunTrust checking account.
The account does come with checks, however only six withdrawals can be made per billing cycle.
Compare Savings Accounts
With the American Express® High Yield Savings Account:
• Earn 0.40% APY on your deposits. Your High Yield Savings account earns interest daily and is posted to your account monthly.
• Links easily with your current bank accounts. No need to switch banks.
• FDIC Insured. Your account is insured to at least $250,000 per depositor.
• No monthly fees, no minimum balance.
• 24/7 Account Access
With the CIT Bank Savings Builders account:
• Earn a top tier, competitive APY on your money—one of the top savings rates in the nation. Earn 0.40% APY on your funds - grow your savings faster.
• Build a habit of savings. Pay yourself first. Start with $100 per month and build your habit of savings-—all while getting a top rate.
• FDIC Insured
Open a Discover Online Savings Account for all these features:
• Earn high interest rate of 0.40% APY
• No minimum opening deposit, no minimum balance requirement, and now no fees
• Interest on Discover Online Savings Accounts is compounded daily and credited monthly
• Manage your account online or with the Discover mobile app
• FDIC insurance up to $250,000
See advertiser website for full details
CD Account Options
SunTrust has a general, promotional CD you can open, but you’ll need a minimum of $2,000 to open each. The CD rates range from 6 months to 58 months. Their CD terms last from 7 days to 10 years as well.
Compare CD Accounts
• Available online nationwide
• Earn 0.30% APY on a 12-Month CD Term
• Earn up to 0.50% APY
• $1,000 minimum to open
• Selection of terms to meet your needs
• A range of choices. Low minimum deposits.
• No fees to open or maintain the account
• Available as Custodial
• Open a CIT Bank Certificate of Deposit Account today!
With the CIT Bank No-Penalty 11-Month CD:
• Earn 0.30% APY on your funds with just a $1,000 minimum deposit.
• The perfect balance between a great fixed rate and flexible money access.
• Access funds, if needed. No penalty.
• No opening or maintenance fees
• Shorter 11-month timeframe and a great APY
• If you need your funds prior to the maturity date, you can withdraw your money — including any interest earned — beginning seven days after the funds have been received. No penalty. No problem. It's the security of a CD with the flexibility to access your funds early if you need them.
Reasons to Bank with SunTrust Bank
- An essential checking account be can be opened for free. SunTrust provides qualified students with this free checking account for up to five years. You must be able to prove active enrollment in high school, college, or trade school in order to be eligible.
- You can earn cash back on your purchases. If you use your SunTrust Visa Debit card, you may earn cash back on certain purchases.
- Gain access to up to 18 months worth of your statements. Perfect for reducing cluttered papers while trying to organize financing for taxes.
- They have online banking. Pay bills, transfer funds, or pay friends/family all through your mobile device.
- SunTrust’s onUp Movement helps their customers be more financially responsible and confident with their money, and you can join the movement by clicking here.
- You can use various payment methods. Apply pay, Samsung pay, Fitbit Pay, etc.
- The SunTrust Visa Debit card comes with a Zero Liability promise. If someone steals your card or hacks into your account, you may not be responsible for the charges. You should report the charges right away, though, to ensure that you receive this protection.
Reasons Not to Bank with SunTrust Bank
- SunTrust’s website isn’t the most reliable. You can’t really find out the interest rates on their website. Instead, you will have to go into a branch or contact a representative by phone to find out the rates.
- You must reside in the Southeast to take advantage of the SunTrust bank accounts. The limited number of ATMs and branches they have make it a viable option only for those who live within the immediate area of their locations.
- If you’re looking for a bank with the highest rates, you may want to look elsewhere.
SunTrust Bank Routing Number
SunTrust’s routing number is 061000104. You can also find this number located at the bottom left corner of your SunTrust Bank check.
Contact Customer Service
Reach SunTrust Bank’s Customer Service at 1 (800) 786-8787.
How SunTrust Bank Compares
- Chase Bank: Chase is one of the biggest banks in the U.S and offers just about almost everything. Compared to its other competitors, Chase offers much more checking account options.
- Wells Fargo: has an even further national reach, as they operate in 39 states and have more than 13,000 ATMs. Wells Fargo offers customer service 24 hours a day, which some people prefer. They also have a variety of interest-bearing and interest-free checking accounts, with ways to waive the monthly service fee.
- BB&T Bank: Just like SunTrust Bank, they offer a wide variety of checking and savings accounts for you to choose from. If you’ve heard of BB&T Bank before, you probably know that it’s the go-to bank on the East coast.
If you prefer a smaller, personal bank that will know your name when you walk into the branch, SunTrust could be a good option if you live near one.
Before you settle down, be sure to read the fine print to understand the different rates and fees you may be paying – as you should for any bank you sign up for.
However, keep in mind that when you look for a checking or savings account be sure to look into all the fees charged. Don’t focus on the interest rate alone, but on what the account will cost you overall.
|Chase Business Complete BankingSM||$300 Cash||Review|
|HSBC Premier Checking Member FDIC||$450 Cash||Review|
|HSBC Premier Checking Member FDIC||Up To $600||Review|
|Huntington 25 Checking||$300 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Beyond Checking||$300 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Convenience CheckingSM||$150 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Unlimited Plus Business Checking||$750 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Unlimited Business Checking||$400 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Business Checking 100||$200 Cash||Review|
|Axos Bank Basic Business Checking||$100 Cash||Review|
|Aspiration Spend & Save Account||$100 Cash||Review|
|Ally Invest||Up to $3,000 Cash||Review|
|BlockFi||Up To $250 BTC||Review|
|American Express High Yield Savings||0.40% APY||Review|
|Discover Cashback Debit Account||$360 Cash||Review|