When opening a checking or savings account, what are the features and benefits that you expect the most? BB&T is a well established bank that can help their customers find whats right for them. To find out if BB&T Bank is right for you, continue reading this review below.
Hailing from the East Coast, BB&T has a variety of account options. BB&T has been in business for 150 years, so they’ve seen almost all there is to see. They currently have locations in about 13 different states.
When you sign up for a BB&T checking account, you can also qualify to receive a free BB&T ATM card along with online and mobile banking.
Table of Contents
Checking Account Options
BB&T Bank offers several checking account options depending on different groups of people (student, senior, etc.).
Students in high school and college and that are unfamiliar with the banking world can dip their feet into it using this account. There are a few requirements including not needing a minimum opening balance or minimum monthly balance.
If you are over the age of 55, you will have access to wallet-style checks, one no-penalty early withdrawal from a CD, and access to more than 3,100 ATMs. Although this account does have a $10 monthly fee, you can waive it with $500 in deposits or $1,000 in checking.
Worrying about minimum balances can be a pain, but the BB&T Fundamentals account gets rid of those for you.
There is a $5 monthly fee with no interest. You also don’t have to worry about meeting specific requirements, though.
This account requires a $50 deposit to open.
This account is a perfect for anyone who wants to keep a large balance. However, it costs $12 a month to keep open.
You can waive this fee by meeting the minimum direct deposit or monthly balance requirements.
If you have a BB&T mortgage or you keep more than $25,000 in your BB&T deposit accounts combined, the Elite account may benefit you. You may be eligible for bonus rates on CDs.
You may also get non-BB&T ATM charges and/or overdraft protection charges waived.
Compare Checking Accounts
Open your Huntington 25 Checking account today and enjoy:
• $300 bonus by making cumulative new money deposits of at least $25,000 within 60 days of account opening. $500 will be deposited in your new account within 14 days of meeting requirements.
• 24-Hour Grace Overdraft Fee Relief. It is designed to give you more time to make a deposit in order to avoid an Overdraft Fee.
• Earn Interest on Balances. 0.05% Annual Percentage Yield applies to all balance tiers.
• Free ATM Withdrawals. They’ll waive all non-Huntington ATM cash withdrawal fees at any ATM and reimburse you for some withdrawal fees charged by another ATM owner.
• Waived Monthly Maintenance Fee
• Credit score and identity monitoring at no added cost
Savings Account Options
BB&T offers a pretty good a variety of accounts. Although not all of them offer competitive rates, most of them don’t require any outrageous fees or minimum deposits/balances, so they are a reliable way to keep your money safe.
This is an ideal account to park your money. With no fees and or minimum deposits required, this is a great place to keep your excess cash. The interest is minimal, but you won’t rack up any outstanding fees.
In between investments? This is a great place to keep your cash while deciding what to do next.
You’ll be able to earn tiered money market interest rates when you keep a minimum balance of $10,000 within the account.
Children that are under the age of 18 can open this account with no balance requirements or minimum deposit.
There are no monthly maintenance fees tied to this account.
Once the child hits 18, this account will turn into a regular savings account.
This account is fantastic for anyone who incurs a lot of medical expenses, which offers tax advantaged contributions to your medical expenses.
It also offers tiered interest rates and doesn’t require a minimum balance.
However, there is a small monthly fee for using the service.
To get a money market account with competitive rates, you’ll have to have at least $1,000 in your savings account.
The requirement isn’t too bad, so this account will be easy to open.
Compare Savings Accounts
With the CIT Bank Savings Builders account:
• Earn a top tier, competitive APY on your money—one of the top savings rates in the nation. Earn 0.40% APY on your funds - grow your savings faster.
• Build a habit of savings. Pay yourself first. Start with $100 per month and build your habit of savings-—all while getting a top rate.
• FDIC Insured
With the American Express® High Yield Savings Account:
• Earn 0.40% APY on your deposits. Your High Yield Savings account earns interest daily and is posted to your account monthly.
• Links easily with your current bank accounts. No need to switch banks.
• FDIC Insured. Your account is insured to at least $250,000 per depositor.
• No monthly fees, no minimum balance.
• 24/7 Account Access
Open a Discover Online Savings Account for all these features:
• Earn high interest rate of 0.40% APY
• No minimum opening deposit, no minimum balance requirement, and now no fees
• Interest on Discover Online Savings Accounts is compounded daily and credited monthly
• Manage your account online or with the Discover mobile app
• FDIC insurance up to $250,000
See advertiser website for full details
CD Account Options
Down below are how you can earn a higher interest rate by obtaining a CD account with BB&T Bank.
The standard CD from BB&T Bank ranges from 7 days to 60 months.
You will need a minimum deposit of $1,000 to open one.
If you don’t have a large sum of money to invest at the moment, the Add-On CD may help.
Add your funds to your CD anytime during its term.
This CD helps with saving for a deposit on a new home.
This can be used towards mortgage loans as well.
This CD helps with saving for college or various educational expenses such as tuition, loans, dorm costs, rent, etc.
Compare CD Accounts
• Available nationwide online, Discover offers CDs with some of the highest & most competitive rates! with select terms as short as 3 months up to 120 months
• Rates ranging from 0.20% APY up to 0.60% APY.
• Opening a Discover Bank Certificate of Deposit is extremely quick and easy.
• Funds on deposit are FDIC-insured up to the maximum allowed by law.
• Start today with a minimum deposit of $2,500!
• Get started and open a Discover CD in 3 easy steps.
• Available online nationwide
• Earn 0.30% APY on a 12-Month CD Term
• Earn up to 0.50% APY
• $1,000 minimum to open
• Selection of terms to meet your needs
• A range of choices. Low minimum deposits.
• No fees to open or maintain the account
• Available as Custodial
• Open a CIT Bank Certificate of Deposit Account today!
With the CIT Bank No-Penalty 11-Month CD:
• Earn 0.30% APY on your funds with just a $1,000 minimum deposit.
• The perfect balance between a great fixed rate and flexible money access.
• Access funds, if needed. No penalty.
• No opening or maintenance fees
• Shorter 11-month timeframe and a great APY
• If you need your funds prior to the maturity date, you can withdraw your money — including any interest earned — beginning seven days after the funds have been received. No penalty. No problem. It's the security of a CD with the flexibility to access your funds early if you need them.
Reasons to Bank with BB&T
- You can categorize and view your expenses on a month-by-month basis. This is a great way to track where your money is going and how you are spending it. BB&T makes it simple for anyone to maintain a healthy financial life by allowing them to get a big picture view of how their spending is affecting their finances.
- You can waive the monthly maintenance fee on the Bright Banking checking account through two ways: direct deposits that meet the minimum requirements ($500 for Bright Banking) or have an average balance of $1,500.
- Free Student Checking as long as you are a student (high school or college). You will need a parent cosigner if you are under the age of 18. This account will have no fees associated with it. Once you turn 24 or finish school (whichever comes first), the account will automatically be upgraded to a Bright Banking Checking account.
- You can use the basic savings account (eSavings) as your overdraft account. Pairing it with the BB&T Bank checking account will allow you to avoid overdraft charges, bounced checks, and unnecessary fees.
- You can set goals through their program. Their mobile and online program allows you to create, set up, and maintain a budget. With this you can work towards any financial goals you have and easily track your progress.
- Earn Cash back with BB&T Deals. BB&T makes offers on your online banking platform. You browse deals that are based on your past purchases and activate the ones you’ll use. You shop with the BB&T debit card and earn the cash back. The money is then deposited into your account.
- Your Accounts FDIC insured up to $250,000.
- Purchase a BB&T prepaid card and link it to your BB&T accounts. The prepaid card isn’t a bank account, but it helps you budget your spending by not allowing you to spend more than what’s on the card. You can reload the card by transferring money from your linked BB&T bank account, but the card won’t withdraw from that account.
Reasons Not to Bank with BB&T
- This bank only has a limited amount of locations. The states the branches are located in are North and South Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia, Maryland, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Texas, Washington D.C, and Indiana.
- The fees can be overwhelming if you don’t pay attention. Many of their accounts have a good amount of fees associated with them, but they are easily waived by following their requirements.
- The overdraft fee can be pretty expensive At $36 per overdraft and with a limit of 6 overdrafts per day, it can cost you quite a bit to make one financial mistake. Even if you have overdraft protection, you’ll pay $12.50 per transfer from a linked BB&T account unless the transfer is less than $5.
BB&T Bank Routing Number
BB&T has different routing numbers, depending on which state you are from. You can retrieve your BB&T routing number through the Mobile Banking App or on the left hand side of your check. You can also check this convenient list of routing numbers here.
Contact Customer Service
Reach BB&T’s customer service at 1 (800) 226-5228. Reps are available at varying hours depending on which location you pick, so make sure you check before calling. Find locations here.
How BB&T Compares
- Chase Bank: Chase is one of the biggest banks in the U.S and offers just about almost everything. Compared to its other competitors, Chase offers much more checking account options.
- Bank of America: As one of the larger banks in the U.S. Many may choose BoA for the convenience of locations through out 35 states. However, BoA offers limited account options.
- Regions Bank: While the checking options are similar, there is a wider variety of savings, CDs, & IRA options to help you save. The cash back rewards program is also very similar. You can find Regions Bank across 15 states.
- Wells Fargo: They have many more ways that you can waive your monthly maintenance fee, such as making 10 debit card purchases per month or receiving at least $500 in monthly direct deposits.
If you want a bank with a variety of checking and savings options, then consider BB&T. You’ll be investing time and money into these institutions and will need to make the right choice and be sure the bank/credit union will offer you what you need.
However, keep in mind that when you look for a checking or savings account be sure to look into all the fees charged. Don’t focus on the interest rate alone, but on what the account will cost you overall.