Alitalia is the national airliner of Italy that serves more than 100 destinations in over 50 countries around the world. In the United States, the carrier flies to the cities of Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami and New York.
See our best credit card bonuses here.
If you’re a fan of this airline, consider their frequent flyer program, Millemiglia. Members can earn points for flying Alitalia and SkyTeam member airlines and can transfer points from popular loyalty programs like American Express Membership Rewards®. Continue reading below to learn more about Alitalia Millemiglia.
Table of Contents
Alitalia Millemiglia Summary
|Redemption Options||Alitalia and partner flights, upgrades, coupons & vouchers, donations|
|Average Mile Value||$0.0041|
Millemiglia Elite Status
Similar to other frequent flyer programs, Millemiglia elite status is tiered and is called Exclusive Clubs: Ulisse, Freccia Alata and Freccia Alata Plus. To unlock a new tier, you will need to earn a certain number of qualifying Premier Points:
|ULISSE||20K qualifying miles or 30 qualifying flights|
|FRECCIA ALATA||50K qualifying miles or 60 qualifying flights|
|FRECCIA ALATA PLUS||80K qualifying miles or 90 qualifying flights|
Elite members enjoy the following perks:
|Perks||ULISSE||FRECCIA ALATA||FRECCIA ALATA PLUS|
|Priority check-in, boarding & wait-listing||×||×||×|
|Priority security lanes||×||×|
|Access to Alitalia Lounges||Paid||×||×|
|Free extra baggage & sports equipment||×||×||×|
|Free one-way upgrades*||2||4||4|
|Free upgrade with Delta*||×||×|
|Free Comfort seats||×||×|
|Upgrade onboard with miles**||×||×|
|Gift Freccia Alata Club status||1|
|Dedicated member services phone number||×||×|
*On medium-haul international flights.
**Valid until June 30, 2021.
Those who hold Freccia Alata Plus status for at least 10 consecutive years get the Freccia Alata Plus Per Sempre Card with unlimited membership to Freccia Alata Plus, as well as:
- 4 additional upgrades to superior classes.
- 2 guaranteed bookings for award tickets in one year.
- Wait listing for Millemiglia award tickets 60 days prior to the date of departure.
Earning Millemiglia Miles
Here is a list of Millemiglia members that you can earn points.
Because Alitalia uses a distance-based chart, you can earn anywhere between 25% to 200% of the miles you fly, depending on the airline, destination and ticket fare class.
You can also collect miles when you travel or shop with Millemiglia partners.
- Hotels, including Accor, Best Western, Hilton, IHG, Marriott and more.
- Booking sites, like Booking.com and Rocketmiles.
- Rental cars from Avis, Budget and more.
- Taxi, transfer and parking services.
- Insurance companies, such as Chubb.
- Shopping at Hugo Boss, Interflora and more.
- Supermarkets like Coop.
- Culture and entertainment.
Earning Millemiglia Points with American Express Membership Rewards®
The easiest way to earn Millemiglia Points is by transferring your Amex Membership Rewards points at a 1:1 ratio. Credit cards that earn Amex Membership Rewards include:
|Personal Credit Cards||The Platinum Card® from American Express
American Express® Gold Card
American Express® Green Card
|Business Credit Cards||The Business Platinum Card® from American Express
American Express® Business Gold Card
The Platinum Card® from American Express offers 100,000 Membership Rewards Points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on the Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
• 10X points on eligible purchases on the Card at restaurants worldwide and when you Shop Small in the U.S., on up to $25,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership.
• 5X Membership Rewards Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
• 5X Membership Rewards Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
This card comes with an annual fee of $695 (See Rates & Fees), but you cardholders can enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member and Additional Centurion Cards only. Terms Apply.
The American Express® Gold Card offers 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 6 months. Terms apply.
You'll have the opportunity to earn:
• 4X Membership Rewards Points on Restaurants, including takeout and delivery, plus, earn 4X points for Uber Eats purchases too.
• 4X Membership Rewards points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per calendar year in purchases, then 1X).
This card has an annual fee of $250 with no foreign transaction fees (See Rates & Fees).
The The Business Platinum Card® from American Express has a welcome offer of 120,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $15,000 on eligible purchases with your Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership.
Plus, 0% Intro APR for 12 months from the date of the account opening on purchases eligible for Pay Over Time. After that, your APR will be 14.24% to 22.24% based on your credit worthiness and other factors as determined at the time of account opening.
• 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com. In addition, you'll get 50% more Membership Rewards® points.
• 1.5X Membership Rewards points on eligible purchases in key business categories, as well as on purchases of $5,000 or more everywhere else. Cap applies.
Get $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year toward baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
This card does come with a $595 annual fee ($695 if application is received on or after 01/13/2022). (See Rates & Fees)
The American Express® Business Gold Card offers 70,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 on eligible purchases with the Business Gold Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership.
You'll earn more rewards: Get 4X Membership Rewards® points on the 2 select categories where your business spent the most each month** (**4X points apply to the first $150,000 in combined purchases from these 2 categories each calendar year.*). In addition, you'll get an airline bonus; 25% points back after you use points for all or part of an eligible flight booked with Amex Travel, up to 250,000 points back per calendar year.*
This card does carry a $295 annual fee, but no foreign transaction fees. (See Rates & Fees)
Other transfer partners include:
Redeeming Millemiglia Points
Premier Points expire after 24 months of inactivity. To keep your account active, make sure to earn or burn points at least every two years.
As mentioned above, you can earn points by booking flights with Alitalia. They have four types of award tickets: Standard, Elite Award, Flex and Superflex. Standard tickets begin at 20,000 miles roundtrip within Europe. Elite Award tickets are only available to those with status. Flex awards are only available in economy and come with additional baggage allowance and free changes. Superflex awards are for upper classes and must be booked via phone.
Additionally, since they are apart of SkyTeam, you can get partner rewards from both SkyTeam and non-SkyTeam partners. If you’re short on miles, opt for a Cash & Miles award starting at 5,000 miles for up to 25% off the purchase price.
Some other great perks include:
- Open jaws are permitted within the same region
- One stopover permitted on partner awards
- Lots of award availability, even in upper classes
- Award itinerary holds available
- Free date and time changes on all awards
- Round-the-world awards available
Redeem your Millemiglia miles for upgrades on Alitalia flights. The amount of miles required depends on the fare class of your paid ticket, but can be as low as 12,500 miles for an upgrade to Premium Economy from the U.S. to Italy.
You can also use your Millemiglia miles for coupons and vouchers, as well as charitable donations.
Additional Tips & Tricks
Before you look for flight awards, keep the following in mind:
- Fuel surcharges on both Alitalia and partner award flights.
- One-way awards cost 60% of a round-trip ticket.
- No one-way awards on partner airlines.
- Only 2 connections allowed per award.
- No stopovers permitted on Alitalia awards.
- 5,000 mile or EUR 55 fee for changes made by phone or to the carriers.
- Partner awards on Korean Air, China Airlines and China Southern have a lot of blackout dates.
To Italy. Awards from North America to any destination in Italy are just 30,000 miles each way in economy. Yes, that includes itineraries from Los Angeles. If you’re already in Europe, consider taking a side trip to Italy in business class from just 20,000 miles each way.
Within Italy. Domestic awards start at 10,000 miles each way in economy, and business class is 15,000 miles.
To Hawaii. Awards from North America to Hawaii are only 40,000 miles, round-trip. Plus, there are no fuel surcharges.
With so many routes to choose from with SkyTeam and the various partners, you may want to join this program. Plus earned benefits and perks with Alitalia Millemiglia will change the way you experience earning rewards