The current offer for the Chase Sapphire Preferred® card is the best one you’ll find. Enjoy this phenomenal chance to earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. This is worth $750 in travel when you redeem through the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal. See below for more info to about the card and to earn your Chase Sapphire Preferred bonus!
The Chase Sapphire Preferred® isn’t just a regular everyday spending card but it’s for international travel as well with no foreign transaction fees! Plus, earn 2x points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide!
Points earned will go far as you receive 25% off travel redemption through the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal. There is an annual fee of $95. However, this is minimal when you take advantage of the benefits of this card.
*Keep in mind Chase offers bonuses for their Checking/Savings accounts also.
Table of Contents
- 1 Chase Sapphire Preferred Bonus
- 2 Chase Sapphire Preferred Card Benefits
- 3 Chase Sapphire Preferred Card Pitfalls
- 4 Earn Ultimate Rewards Points
- 5 Redeem Ultimate Rewards
- 6 Other Chase Sapphire Preferred Benefits
- 7 Earning Ultimate Rewards Points
- 8 Redeeming Ultimate Rewards Points
- 9 Travel Protection
- 10 Purchase Protection and Extended Warranty
- 11 Editor’s Alternative Choice Pick
- 12 What About Other Travel Rewards Credit Cards?
- 13 Pair with Chase Sapphire Checking
- 14 Bottom Line of the Chase Sapphire Preferred Bonus
Chase Sapphire Preferred Bonus
Chase Sapphire Preferred Card Benefits
The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card is the go-to card for these reasons:
- A big bonus. Earn 60,000 Chase Sapphire Preferred bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That’s $750 toward travel when you redeem through the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal.
- 2x points on both travel and dining. Earn 2x points on travel and dining at restaurants and 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases worldwide. You’ll get 2 points for each $1 you spend on airfare, train tickets, hotel stays and dining at restaurants, including fast food. Plus, Chase has a pretty wide definition of what counts as travel and dining. Surprisingly, these include Uber rides, highway tolls, airport parking, ferries, and campground fees.
- 25% off travel redemptions. Enjoy 25% points off when redeeming your points on travel, online at Chase Ultimate Rewards portal. This means, each point is worth 1.25 cents when you book travel through the Ultimate Rewards portal. For example, if you book a $500 airfare using the Ultimate Rewards portal, it would only require 40,000 points. Savings add up pretty quickly. Thus, the Sapphire Preferred is popular for those who like saving money while traveling.
- Easy point transfers. Squeeze even more value out of your points by transferring them to a participating travel program. Transfer points with no fees at a 1:1 value to airline and hotel transfer partners.
- No foreign transaction fee. The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card does’t charge any foreign transaction fees that many other credit cards do, making it an excellent card to use for traveling abroad. For international travelers, you’ll want a rewards card that has no foreign transaction fee, smart chip technology, and worldwide acceptance. Conveniently, the Chase Sapphire Preferred® card has all three of these features.
Chase Sapphire Preferred Card Pitfalls
You may not like the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card due to these reasons:
- The annual fee. The annual fee is $95. These annual fees are common for rewards cards, such as the Sapphire Preferred® card, but if you’re one of those cardholders who prefer credit cards that don’t have them at all or if you’re not a big spender to justify the annual fee, this may not be the best card for you. However, if you dine out regularly at restaurants and/or travel a lot, then consider the Sapphire Preferred® card since you’ll receive 2x points on travel and dining.
- No introductory APR on purchases. This card doesn’t offer an introductory interest rate, one of the reasons many consumers sign up for new cards. However, if you’re responsible and consistently pay off your balance in full each month, then you should consider the Sapphire Preferred® card. If you tend to carry a balance, you may want to look into a credit card with low interest rates.
- High credit score requirement. Because the benefits are pretty grand with this card, the application process is quite selective. You’ll need good to excellent credit to qualify.
Earn Ultimate Rewards Points
Enjoy earning 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants and 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases worldwide with your Chase Sapphire Preferred® card.
Plus, when you shop through the Ultimate Rewards shopping portal, you can earn up to 10 points per dollar at nearly 300 top online retailers.
This by far is one of the best travel cards out there with how easy it is to earn bonus points. You also never have to worry about being charged a foreign fee when you are traveling abroad! So, enjoy your food when traveling, knowing you’re earning points for future travel redemptions.
Your points do not expire as long as the credit card account remains open and you can use your points for airfare and other travel purchases without restrictions.
Redeem Ultimate Rewards
With the bonus points the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card, that’s a significant amount of points to cash out! The best way to utilize your points is to redeem them for travel rewards.
As a Sapphire Preferred cardmember, you get 25% off whenever you redeem your points for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal. For example, instead of using 30,000 points ($300) to buy a plane ticket, you now pay 22,500 points ($225). Simply put, 1 point is equivalent to 1.25 cents when redeeming through the Ultimate Rewards travel portal.
You can also convert your points to frequent flyer miles for airline and hotel partners at a 1:1 ratio.
Subject to change, airline partners include:
- Aer Lingus AerClub
- Air France/KLM Flying Blue
- British Airway Avios
- Iberia Plus
- JetBlue TrueBlue
- Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer
- Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards
- United Airlines MileagePlus
- Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
Subject to change, hotel partners include:
- World of Hyatt
- IHG Rewards Club
- Marriott Rewards
- Ritz Carlton Rewards
Finally, you can redeem your points for cash back or gift cards. This option is easiest since you won’t have to find the best travel deals or wait for the best time to transfer your points to Chase’s partner programs.
However, these options will generally be valued at 1 cent per point. Though, gift cards may vary. Choose gift cards from over over 75 partner retailers, restaurants, and gas stations.
Other Chase Sapphire Preferred Benefits
- 24/7 Concierge Service: Enjoy free 24/7 concierge service with your card. Whether you want to make a reservation, finding tickets, plan out your travel, or buying a perfect gift, simply give them a call and ask for help with their superior customer services.
- 24/7 Dedicated Customer Service: Talk to a real customer service and be connected immediately without pressing “#,” guaranteed! Simply call up the number on the back of your card and you can speak with a real, live person.
- Travel Insurance: The card comes with free travel insurance services such as trip cancellation insurance, auto rental collision damage, travel accident insurance, lost luggage reimbursement, and more.
- Purchase Protection: Other non-travel benefits include zero liability for unauthorized purchases and automatic extended warranties. Also receive refunds of up to $500 per item and $2,500 per year if the price on your purchase drops in the first 90 days and you are no longer eligible for a refund from the seller. There is no preset spending limit, giving you more flexibility on your spending.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees: One of the best perks, there is $0 foreign transaction fees on international purchases.
- Chip & Signature Technology: With chip technology, traveling internationally with your Sapphire Preferred is much easier.
Earning Ultimate Rewards Points
Earning points with the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card is pretty straightforward. You get 2x points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide and 1x point per dollar spent on all other purchases. Dining at restaurants include fine dining establishments as well as fast food restaurants. For travel, Chase also has a pretty wide definition of what counts as travel, including:
- Hotels and motels
- Car rentals
- Cruise lines
- Travel agencies and discount travel sites
- Trains, buses, limos, and ferries
- Tolls, bridges, and highways
- Parking lots and garages
Redeeming Ultimate Rewards Points
Redeem your Sapphire Preferred points through Chase Ultimate Rewards portal for travel, gift cards, cash back, and more. If you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards portal for travel, you’ll get 25% off airfare, hotels, car rentals, and cruises.
Transfer points to participating frequent travel programs with no transfer fees at full 1:1 value. You can find the full list of travel partners in the next section.
If you’re looking to earn even more points for travel, you can use your Chase points from your other Chase credit cards. Since the Sapphire Preferred® doesn’t give you bonus points in other categories, like gas or groceries, consider maximizing your rewards by supplementing it with the Chase Freedom® Card. Earn 5% cash back, up to $1,500, in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter. 5% categories rotate every three months. Use the Freedom card for the bonus categories, and then pool your reward points from both cards.
When you use your Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card to make travel arrangements, you’ll get a variety of card benefits as highlighted:
- Travel Insurance: You are eligible to receive up to $500,000 in travel accident insurance, plus emergency assistance services via phone 24/7. Get up to $3,000 reimbursement if you or your family’s luggage is lost or damaged. If your baggage is delayed after you arrive at your destination, you can be reimbursed for essentials, like toiletries and clothes, for up to $100 per day for five days. If your trip is delayed for more than 12 hours, each ticketed person in your family can receive up to $500 total reimbursement for meals and hotel stays if you aren’t reimbursed by another source.
- Trip Cancellation/Interruption: If you’ve paid for your trip with the card, you have added protection if your trip is interrupted by weather or you or a family member gets sick. Get reimbursed up to $10,000 per trip for your non-refundable, pre-paid travel expenses, including airfare, hotel, and tours.
- Car Rental Insurance: The Sapphire Preferred® card offers primary collision and damage insurance for most rental cars when you pay the entire car rental fee in full and decline the rental company’s collision and damage insurance. Most other credit cards offer just secondary insurance, so this is a great card benefit.
Purchase Protection and Extended Warranty
In addition to travel benefits, you’ll also receive some shopping benefits:
- Purchase Protection: On most purchases, you will be reimbursed up to $500 if the item is damaged or stolen within 120 days from purchase.
- Extended Warranty: An additional one year warranty will be added to eligible purchases made with the card for items that come with an initial warranty of three year or less.
- Price Protection: You’ll also get price protection for up to 90 days after the date of purchase. If you find a lower advertised price within that time, you can be reimbursed the difference, up to $500 dollars per eligible purchase with a maximum of $2,500 per year. However, purchases must be made in the U.S.
Editor’s Alternative Choice Pick
With the Wells Fargo Propel American Express® Card:
• Earn 30K bonus points when you spend $3,000 in purchases in the first 3 months – that’s a $300 cash redemption value
• $0 Annual Fee
• Earn 3X points for eating out and ordering in
• Earn 3X points for gas stations, rideshares and transit
• Earn 3X points for travel including flights, hotels, homestays and car rentals
• Earn 1X points on other purchases
What About Other Travel Rewards Credit Cards?
Here’s how the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card stacks up against the Capital One® Venture® Rewards Card, another good travel rewards credit card with a $0 intro annual fee for the first year; $95 after that.
With the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card:
• Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
• 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
• Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
The Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card offers a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening (equal to $500 in travel). Named ‘The Best Travel Card' by CNBC, 2018.
You're able to earn 2X miles on every purchase, every day. Plus earn 10X miles on thousands of hotels, through January 2020; learn more at hotels.com/venture.
This card does come with a $95 annual fee, however, there is a $0 intro annual fee for the first year. Enjoy no foreign transaction fees and receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre?®.
Pair with Chase Sapphire Checking
In addition to earning your Chase Sapphire Preferred bonus, compliment your experience with the Chase SapphireSM Checking account.
With the Chase SapphireSM Checking:
• Enjoy a $750 welcome bonus when you join SapphireSM Banking. Within 45 days, transfer a total of $75,000 or more in qualifying new money or securities to a combination of eligible personal checking, savings and/or investment accounts, (excludes: Any J.P. Morgan retirement accounts and CDs) and maintain that balance for 90 days.
• Enjoy a new kind of banking experience
• No ATM fees worldwide - down the street or around the globe
• Perks that add up - relationship rates, special access and help when you need it
• Open online in minutes
• Email my upgrade code
• Available in: AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, IA, ID, IL, IN, KY, LA, MA, MD, MI, MS, NH, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, RI, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI, WV
Bottom Line of the Chase Sapphire Preferred Bonus
Again, this is the best offer I’ve seen for the Chase Sapphire Preferred® all year long. Though the $95 annual fee seems like a drawback, the extra reward benefits and bonus points you earn when you sign up will far outweigh it.
Believe me, you’ll want this card since it’s made out of real metal. It will leave quite the impression to your friends and family!
The great Chase Sapphire Preferred bonus will allow you a chance to redeem for extravagant traveling through the Ultimate Rewards portal. You also can snag other great offers if traveling isn’t what you want to pursue with your earned points.
For more of what Chase has to offer, see our list of the latest bank promotions from Chase Bank or other credit cards from Chase! For a more extensive list, see our full list of credit card promotions for all your credit card needs!
(Visit Chase for more details)
See rates and fees here.
|Chase Ink Business PreferredSM Card||80,000 Points||Review|
|Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card||60,000 Points||Review|
|Chase Ink Business UnlimitedSM Credit Card||$500 Cash||Review|
|Chase Ink Business CashSM Card||$500 Cash||Review|
|Chase Freedom®||$150 Cash||Review|
|Chase Freedom Unlimited®||3% Cash Back||Review|
|UnitedSM Explorer Business Card||Up to 100,000 Miles||Review|
|ABOC Platinum Rewards Mastercard®||$150 Cash||Review|
Disclaimer: This content is not provided or commissioned by the credit card issuer. Opinions expressed here are author’s alone, not those of the credit card issuer, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through the credit card issuer Affiliate Program.