Flying American Airlines? Consider signing up for the Citi American Airlines AAdvantage MileUpSM Card because it is designed for the frequent travelers out there. You have the opportunity to earn 10,000 American Airlines AAdvantage Bonus Miles and receive a $50 statement credit after making $500 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening.
If that didn’t convince you already, you can also earn 2X AAdvantage miles for each $1 spent at grocery stores and on eligible American Airlines purchases. This card has $0 annual fee. Get the most out of your next adventure by signing up for this card and redeem your points for flights, upgrades to First class, car rentals, hotel stays, vacation packages, or more!
* You can compare the Citi American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp Card with other credit card bonuses and promotions.
Table of Contents
Citi American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp Card Summary
|Bonus Available||Earn 10,000 bonus miles and a $50 statement credit after you make at least $500 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening.|
|Travel Credit||No travel credit.|
|Ongoing Rewards/Benefits||2 miles for every $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases, 2 miles for every $1 spent on groceries, and 1 mile for every $1 spent on all other purchases.
25% savings on inflight food and beverages purchases.
|Foreign Transaction Fees||3%|
|Airport Lounge Access||N/A|
|Free Checked Bags||None|
- No annual fee
- Bonus miles & statement credit
- Inflight food & beverage discount
- Option to redeem with partner airlines
- Excellent credit needed to qualify
- Lack of travel perks
- Complicated rewards program
- Foreign transaction fees
What are AAdvantage Miles Worth?
The value of your miles depends on how you use them. On average, the value for each AAdvantage mile at around $0.014. Using this figure, 10k miles would be worth around $140.
You can redeem your miles towards American Airlines, American Eagle and Oneworld flights. Or with one of their many partners (see below for the list). When you fly, airline choice and destination all play a part in your miles’ worth.
AAdvantage miles can also be used towards seat upgrades, car rentals and hotel stays. But the best value for your miles is to use them for flights.
Citi American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp Card Benefits
- EMV Chip Technology: Enjoy global acceptance and enhanced security when you use your credit card at merchants that use chip enabled terminals to accept your payment.
- Citi® Cards with Apple Pay: Citi provides quick and easy payments. With a simple touch you can pay in-app or at over 200,000 stores with the iPhone 6, or in-app with the iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3. Plus, you’ll still enjoy all of the benefits that come with your Citi card when you use Apple Pay to check out.
- Citi Concierge: Citi Concierge helps you save valuable time with a staff of specially-trained experts who are ready to assist you with your travel, shopping, dining, entertainment and everyday needs.
- AAdvantage Award Travel: A total of 25,000 American Airlines AAdvantage miles may be redeemed for round trip Main Cabin Continental U.S. / Canada MileSAAver awards.
American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp Card Top Features
The American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp credit card might still be worth it. With 23 airline partners, you can use and earn AAdvantage miles for travel to over 1,000 destinations worldwide. Check them out below.
AAdvantage Partner Airlines
|Air Tahiti Nui||Alaska Airlines||British Airways|
|Cape Air||Cathay Pacific||Etihad Airways|
|Fiji Airways||Finnair||Gulf Air|
|Japan Airlines||Jet Airways||LATAM Airlines|
|Malaysia Airlines||Qantas||Qatar Airways|
|Royal Jordanian Airlines||S7 Airlines||Seaborne Airlines|
Earn or redeem with American Airlines or an AAdvantage partner at least once every 18 months so your miles don’t expire.
Enjoy a 25% savings on American Airlines inflight food and beverages. Just charge these purchases to your card.
All cardholders benefit from a suite of Citi services, including:
- Citi Concierge. 24/7 assistance for booking a flight or hotel, arranging a special night out and even finding the perfect gift for that special someone. Help is just a phone call away.
- Citi Cards with Apple Pay. Make a purchase quickly and easily with a simple touch or in-app at over 200,000 stores.
The Citi American Airlines AAdvantage MileUpSM Card provides you with additional benefits such as 2x miles for every $1 spent at grocery stores, including grocery delivery services, and on eligible American Airlines Purchases, no annual fee, and much more. Book your next trip with this card.
The big bonus here is the sign up bonus where you can get 10,000 American Airlines AAdvantage Bonus Miles and a $50 statement credit by using this card to spend $500 within the first 3 months of account opening. If you are interested in more promotions from Citi Bank, look at our list of Citibank Promotions and the full list of more credit card promotion to find the card that best fits you!
(Visit Citi.com for more details about this card.)
The editorial content on this page is not provided by any of the companies mentioned, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities. Opinions expressed here are author’s alone.
Who’s the Competition?
For More Flexibility
The Barclaycard Arrival Plus® World Elite Mastercard®, Chase Sapphire Preferred Card and Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card all over rewards not tied to any airline or hotel. All offer a valuable sign-up bonus.
With the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card:
• Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
• 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
• Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
The Capital One® VentureOne® Rewards Card offers a one-time bonus of 20,000 miles once you spend $1,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $200 in travel.
You'll earn 1.25X miles on every purchase, every day and pay no annual fee. Plus earn 10X miles on thousands of hotels, through January 2020; learn more at hotels.com/venture.
This card comes with no annual fees and no foreign transaction fees which is a great choice as your go-to travel card!
No Annual Fee Alternatives
For no-annual-fee options, review the Chase Freedom, HSBC Cash Rewards Mastercard® credit card and Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card to start. These are cash back cards that earn good rewards.
With the HSBC Cash Rewards Mastercard® credit card:
• Earn unlimited 1.5% cash rewards on all purchases.
• Earn an Introductory 3% Cash Back on all purchases in the first 12 months from Account opening, up to the first $10,000 in purchases
• 10% Anniversary Bonus on all Cash Rewards earned once a year.
• No Annual Fee.
• 0% Intro APR for 12 months on purchases and balance transfers, then a 15.24%, 19.24% or 25.24% variable APR.
• No Foreign Transaction Fees.
• $0 liability for unauthorized purchases.
• Terms Apply.
• See Rates & Fees
The Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Card offers a one-time $150 cash bonus after spending $500 on purchases within 3 months from account opening.
You'll be able to earn an unlimited 1.5% cash back on every purchase, every day with no rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards.
This card comes with no annual fee and no foreign transaction fees which makes this card a viable option for your go-to everyday card.
|Chase Premier Plus CheckingSM||$300 Cash||Review|
|Chase Total Checking® + Chase SavingsSM||$350 Cash||Review|
|Chase Total Business Checking®||$200 Cash||Review|
|Chase SapphireSM Checking||$750 Cash||Review|
|Simple High-Yield Checking||$500 Cash||Review|
|Discover Bank Online Savings||$200 Cash||Review|
|HSBC Premier Checking Member FDIC||$750 Cash||Review|
|HSBC Advance Checking Member FDIC||$350 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Asterisk-Free Checking®||$150 Cash||Review|
|Huntington 5 Checking||$200 Cash||Review|
|Chase College CheckingSM||$100 Cash||Review|
|You InvestSM by J.P. Morgan||$625 Cash||Review|
|Chase Private Client||$1,250 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Beyond Checking||$300 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Convenience CheckingSM||$200 Cash||Review|
|Discover Cashback Debit Account||$360 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Unlimited Plus Business Checking||$500 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Unlimited Business Checking||$400 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Business Checking 100||$200 Cash||Review|