Hustlermoneyblog has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Hustlermoneyblog and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
The Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express offers $150 back in statement credits after spending $1,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening.
Along with no annual fee, you’ll get up to 3% cash back in popular spending categories! It’s exceptionally perfect for those with families who want great rewards without the hassle of rotating categories or enrollment to keep up with.
Table of Contents
Amex Blue Cash Everyday Card Summary
|Bonus Available||$150 statement credit for spending $1,000 within the first 3 months|
|Ongoing Rewards/Benefits||3% back at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 spent per year (then 1%)
2% back at U.S. gas stations and select U.S. department stores
1% back on all other purchases
|Foreign Transaction Fees||Yes, 2.7% per transaction|
- Bonus rewards
- No annual fee
- Bonus offer for new cardholders
- Intro APR period on Purchases and Balance Transfers
- American Express isn’t accepted at as many merchants as Visa or Mastercard
- Requires good/excellent credit
- $25 minimum redemption
Blue Cash Everyday $150 Bonus
With the Blue Cash Everyday Card from American Express, they have an introductory $150 bonus. To qualify for the promotion, you’ll need to spend at least $1,000 within the first three months of account opening.
If you need some help meeting the requirements, here are some ideas on meeting the spending requirements:
|• Plastiq - Using Plastiq allows you to pay for your personal expenses such as rent, tuition, mortgage, auto lease etc. Although they charge a 2.5% processing fee for using your credit card, this will contribute to the card bonus that you will receive. There is also a referral program that allows you to earn "Free-Free Dollars" that goes towards processing fees as well.|
|• Funding Checking Accounts - When it comes to funding a checking account, opening your initial deposit with a credit card is the usual way to go about it. However, if you want to have more opportunities, you should open a checking account that offers a sign-up bonus. This allows you to work towards bonuses from not one but two different sources instead. Banks like Chase, Huntington Bank, TD Bank and BBVA offers credit card funding, and for your opening deposit, you can often fund anywhere from $50-$1000 with a credit card, depending on the bank.|
|• Gift Card Purchases With Using a Credit Card - Another way to acquire the bonus is using your credit card to purchase gift cards. Buying a a gift card or an individual merchant card typically do not require a purchase fee and are used towards leisure, so gift cards are ideal. However, gift cards such as a Visa or American Express do incur purchase fees because they can be spent anywhere, but gift cards that are specifically for a certain online shopping site such as Amazon or eBay don't.|
|As for a Citi Credit Card, you should call customer service and ask them to lower your Cash Advance limit to $0 before making any purchases because Citi tends to read gift card purchases as a Cash Advance.
Ideally, you should do this with any card just to be safe. Lastly, there is such thing as a discounted gift card which can be purchased on Raise or eBay. If you use a credit card often for everyday purchases, it can build your credit score that will contribute towards paying for things such as bills and taxes.
Blue Cash Everyday Rewards
You can earn 3% back with this you can acquire a discount on all the food, paper goods, personal care products and other items you would normally buy when grocery shopping.
Your rewards are based on where you’re shopping, not what you buy there. American Express’ definition of U.S. supermarkets excludes wholesale clubs such as Costco and Sam’s Club, superstores like Target and Wal-Mart, specialty food stores and others. Not only consider how much you buy, but also where you buy them the most regularly.
The rewards rate applies to the first $6,000 in U.S. supermarket spending annually. When maxed out, it’s worth $180 annually in cashback. Please note that terms may apply.
You can earn 2% cashback at U.S. gas stations and select U.S. departments stores! The good thing about this double rewards is that its not capped. However terms do apply, so read the fine print before doing anything.
On another note, restrictions also apply on:
- Higher gas rewards are available at traditional stand alone gas stations. So warehouse clubs, superstores, and supermarkets that sell gas don’t count.
- Elevated rewards for department stores apply only at named merchants. But discount retailers such as Target and Wal-mart are excluded and your regional department store chain might not count. Be sure to read American Express’ qualifying stores.
Cashback Rates Offered vs. Annual Fee Cards
If you compare the Blue Cash Everyday alongside other AmEx cashback cards, the cashback rates may look small compared. Although it has an annual fee of $95, the Blue Cash Preferred Card can unlock a higher rate of 6% in U.S. supermarkets, 3% at U.S. gas stations, and specific U.S. department stores.
So if you spend $10,000 in U.S. supermarkets with the Blue Cash Everyday Card, you will earn $220 in cashback. Earn $180 at 3% for the first $6,000 spent annually and $40 at 1% for the remaining $4,000.
However, if you spend the same amount with the AmEx Blue Cash Preferred card, you can earn $400 in cash back. Compared to the Blue Cash Everyday, you earn $360 at 3% for the first $6,000 spend and $40 at 1% for the remaining $4,000.
So the Blue Cash Preferred card is the better option despite the annual fee that comes with it.
Blue Cash Everyday Card Top Features
Earn $150 statement credit after spending $1,000 in purchases on your card in your first three months.
Earn cash back on eligible purchases. Enjoy the flexibility to carry a balance with interest or pay in full each month.
- 3% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets, up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%)
- 2% Cash Back at U.S. gas stations
- 2% Cash Back at select U.S. department stores
- 1% Cash Back on other purchases
Some cards have rotating categories where you’ll have to opt in each quarter for specific bonuses to earn more cash back. This card doesn’t. Without them, this card extremely hassle free and simple to use.
Some cards require an annual fee to be a continue being a member. but this card has no annual fee!
Blue Cash Every Card Additional Benefits
- Purchase Protection: All eligible purchases are protected from damage or theft for up to 90 days from the day of purchase (up to $1,000 for each eligible purchase and up to $50,000 annually per cardmember account).
- Roadside Assistance Hotline: Car trouble? Dead battery or have your tire blown out? Call emergency services at any time to get roadside assistance. However, you still need to pay for the service.
- Extended Warranty: Get one year of additional warranty coverage on eligible purchases.
- Return Protection: If the retailer won’t take your purchase back, American Express will refund the amount under certain circumstances.
- Car Rental Loss & Damage: Use your card to reserve and pay for a car rental. You’ll be covered if the car is damaged or stolen in the U.S. This benefit is secondary to your regular auto insurance.
- Global Assist Hotline: If you are more than 100 miles away from your home, you can call for help such as legal, financial, medical, and emergency assistance.
The Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express is a good card for shopping at supermarkets, gas stations, and department stores in the U.S. No need to worry about rotating categories. You get up to 3% cash back with this card. This card is a no-brainer to apply for, especially with the opportunity to earn a welcome offer. Plus, enjoy the travel and purchase benefits American Express has to offer with this card.
Who’s the Competition?
The Chase Sapphire Preferred Card offers 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®!
You'll earn 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases. And when you redeem your points for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards, you'll get 25% more value!
This card carries a $95 annual fee.
The Chase Freedom Unlimited® Card offers a $200 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening. Earn unlimited 1.5% cash back on all purchases.
In addition, you can earn:
• 5% cash back on grocery store purchases (not including Target or Walmart purchases) on up to $12,000 spent in the first year.
• 5% on travel purchased through Chase,
• 3% on dining at restaurants and drugstores, and
• Unlimited 1.5% cash back on all other purchases.
There is no minimum to redeem for cash back & your cash back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open.
This card comes with no annual fee and you'll get a free credit score that is updated weekly with Credit JourneySM.
The Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Card offers a one-time $150 cash bonus after spending $500 on purchases within 3 months from account opening.
You'll be able to earn an unlimited 1.5% cash back on every purchase, every day with no rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards.
This card comes with no annual fee and no foreign transaction fees which makes this card a viable option for your go-to everyday card.
The American Express Cash Magnet® Card offers $150 statement credit after you spend $1,000 or more in purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership.
You'll earn unlimited 1.5% Cash Back on your purchases; your cash back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be easily redeemed for statement credits, gift cards, and merchandise.
The card has no annual fee. (See Rates & Fees).
The Chase Freedom FlexSM offers a $200 bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening.
• 5% cash back on grocery store purchases (not including Target® or Walmart® purchases) on up to $12,000 spent in the first year.
• 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate.
• 5% on travel purchased through Chase, 3% on dining at restaurants and drugstores, and 1% on all other purchases.
You cash back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open and there is no minimum to redeem for cash back. You'll be able to new 5% categories each quarter!
This card has no annual fee.
The Capital One® Savor® Cash Rewards Credit Card offers a one-time $300 cash bonus after spending $3000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening.
You'll earn an unlimited 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% at grocery stores and 1% on all other purchases. Capital One cardholders get access to premium experiences in dining, entertainment and more.
This card does carry a $95 annual fee, however, there is a $0 intro annual fee for the first year.