With the new Rewards+ Student Card from Citi Bank, you will have a way of earning points and rewards much faster with a unique feature that rounds up to the nearest 10X points on every purchase.
This card is meant for students who are looking to open up a new credit card! Upon approval, new cardmembers can earn 2,500 points signup bonus for spending $500 within 3 months of your account opening.
In addition, cardmembers can score 2x points on grocery and gas, up to $6,000 per year, then 1x points on everything else such as text books and computers. This card has no annual fee either which is a benefit that you definitely don’t want to miss out on. If you are interested in what you hear, continue reading to see if this card is for you!
* You can compare the Citi Rewards + Student Card with other credit card bonuses and promotions.
Table of Contents
Citi Rewards+ Student Card Summary
|Bonus Available||Earn 2,500 bonus points after you make at least $500 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening.|
|Ongoing Rewards/Benefits||2 points for every $1 at supermarkets and gas stations (for the first $6,000 spent per year) and 1 point for every $1 spent on all other purchases.
Round up to the nearest 10 points on every purchase.
Get 10% points back for the first 100,000 points you redeem every year.
|Foreign Transaction Fees||3%|
- No annual fee
- Bonus points
- Points round up
- 10% points rebate
- Good-Excellent credit needed to qualify
- Spending cap on bonus categories
- Foreign transaction fees
What are ThankYou Points Worth?
The “basic” ThankYou points you earn on this card don’t have the same redemption power as “normal” ThankYou points. As a Rewards+ Student cardholder, you can only transfer your points to JetBlue.
Other redemption options include:
- Travel booked through the ThankYou Travel Center
- Merchandise at Amazon.com or BestBuy.com
- Gift cards
- Statement credits
All have a per-point value of $0.01. This valuation is neither good nor bad. It’s what you would get for your points, on average, across different rewards cards. You could get more value from your points, you can read the review on the non-student Rewards+ Card. But, it’s unlikely the case where you’d have a student card along with the Citi Prestige or Citi Premier card.
Why You Should Apply for This Card
- Redeeming ThankYou® Points: Treat yourself to just about anything. Choose from a large selection of gift cards including department and home stores as well as restaurants. You can also use ThankYou® Points to shop online at Amazon.com or BestBuy.com as well as a variety of eligible purchases in select categories with statement credits.
- Citi® Concierge: Citi® Concierge helps you save valuable time with a staff of specially-trained experts who are ready to assist you with your travel, shopping, dining, entertainment and everyday needs.
- EMV Chip Technology: Enjoy global acceptance and enhanced security when you use your credit card at merchants that use chip enabled terminals to accept your payment.
- Citi® Private Pass®: Enjoy special access to purchase tickets to thousands of events annually, including presale tickets and VIP packages to concerts, sporting events, dining experiences, plus complimentary movie screenings and more, at citiprivatepass.com.
- Extended Warranty: To be eligible for coverage, You must pay for the item at least in part with Your Citi Card and/or ThankYou® Points. We will only reimburse the lesser of the actual amount paid for with Your Citi Card (including ThankYou Points) or the maximum coverage per item.
Citi Rewards+ Student Top Features
Citi Rewards+ Student rounds up earnings on all purchases to the nearest 10 points. If you spent $11 on lunch, you’ll earn 20 ThankYou points instead of 11.
This also means you’re guaranteed to earn a minimum of 10 points on every purchase. So it’s a useful feature if you often make purchases under $10.
Citi Rewards+ Student gives 10% of your redeemed points back. You’ll get it at the end of each calendar year, for up to 100,000 redeemed points. That means a maximum of 10,000 ThankYou points back annually, which is a $100 value.
All cardholders benefit from a suite of Citi services, including:
- Citi Private Pass. Buy tickets to concerts, sporting events, comedy shows and more before they’re open to the general public. Look out for exclusive VIP packages to certain events.
- Citi Concierge. 24/7 assistance for booking a flight or hotel, arranging a special night out and even finding the perfect gift for that special someone. Help is just a phone call away.
This is a great everyday card that is meant to benefit students the most. The Citi Rewards+ Student Card has an neat way of earning points quicker. There is no annual fee as well as low introductory APR on purchases. You will be spending big on necessities so why not get rewarded big while you’re at it!
There is a signup bonus of 2,500 points for spending $500 within 3 months, this card will definitely allow you to make up for your purchases in points. Not only that but you will earn up to 2x points on grocery and gas, up to $6,000 per year, then 1x thereafter. If this is not the card for you, feel free to check out more CitiBank promotions or our full list of the best credit card bonuses to find out which one suits your needs.
(Visit Citi.com for more details about this card.)
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airline, or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved, or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities. Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone, not those of the bank, credit card issuer, airline, or hotel chain, and have not been reviewed, approved, or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Who’s the Competition?
Learn more about this card and its features here.
The Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Card offers a one-time $150 cash bonus after spending $500 on purchases within 3 months from account opening.
You'll be able to earn an unlimited 1.5% cash back on every purchase, every day with no rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards.
This card comes with no annual fee and no foreign transaction fees which makes this card a viable option for your go-to everyday card.
|Chase SapphireSM Checking||$1,000 Cash||Review|
|Chase Total Business Checking®||$200 Cash||Review|
|Chase Premier Plus CheckingSM||$300 Cash||Review|
|Chase Total Checking® + Chase SavingsSM||$350 Cash||Review|
|Simple High-Yield Checking||$500 Cash||Review|
|Discover Bank Online Savings||$200 Cash||Review|
|Chase College CheckingSM||$100 Cash||Review|
|You InvestSM by J.P. Morgan||$625 Cash||Review|
|Chase Private Client||$2,000 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Beyond Checking||$300 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Convenience CheckingSM||$150 Cash||Review|
|Discover Cashback Debit Account||$360 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Unlimited Plus Business Checking||$750 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Unlimited Business Checking||$400 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Business Checking 100||$200 Cash||Review|
|UFB Direct High Yield Savings||2.15% APY||Review|
|CIT Bank Savings Builder||2.10% APY||Review|
|Betterment Everyday Savings||2.04% APY||Review|
|Ally Invest||$3,500 Cash||Review|
|TD Ameritrade||$600 Cash||Review|