Hustlermoneyblog has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Hustlermoneyblog and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
Do you fly with Delta Airlines? Are you looking for a great airline credit card? The Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card is specially designed for travelers who often fly with Delta Airlines.
Enjoy the opportunity to earn a generous welcome offer of 70,000 Bonus Miles after spending $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
Plus, make every purchase and every flight with Delta count as you earn SkyMiles rewards for award flights, seat upgrades, and more.
This card comes with a few additional benefits such as one free checked bag per person in your reservation (up to 8 people), priority boarding, and 20% off certain in-flight purchases (movies, drinks, and meals).
Also, you will earn 2X miles on Delta purchases, at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery, and at U.S. supermarkets; while also earning 1X mile on all other eligible purchases. As an added perk, the annual fee of $99 is waived for the first year (see rates & fees).
* The Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card is issued by American Express. They also offer great sign-up bonuses for their credit cards. You can also compare this card with other credit card bonuses!
Table of Contents
Delta SkyMiles Gold American Express Card Summary
|Bonus Available||Earn 70,000 Bonus Miles after spending $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.|
|Travel Credit||Spend $10,000 in purchases on your card in a calendar year and receive a $100 Delta Flight Credit.|
|Ongoing Rewards/Benefits||Earn 2X Miles on Delta purchases, at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery, and at U.S. supermarkets
Earn 1X mile for every eligible dollar spent on purchases
First Checked Bag Free on Delta flights for you and up to 8 guests on the same reservation.
Take up to $50 off the cost of your flight for every 5,000 miles you redeem with Pay with Miles when you book on delta.com.
Receive Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
20% savings in the form of a statement credit after you use your Card on eligible Delta in-flight purchases of food, beverages, and audio headsets.
|Foreign Transaction Fees||No (see rates & fees)|
|Airport Lounge Access||No|
|Annual Fee||$0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $99. (see rates & fees)|
Delta SkyMiles Gold Card Bonus Miles
Take advantage of the Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card bonus miles introductory offer of 70,000 bonus miles. To qualify for this offer, you must spend the spend requirement.
What Are Delta SkyMiles Worth?
Similar to other airline-branded credit cards, the value of the miles you earn will depend on how you use them. Approximately, one Delta SkyMiles is worth $0.012. This is slightly valued higher than the industry average of $0.01 per point.
Here are some of the best ways to redeem your SkyMiles:
- Flights with Delta
- Flights with partner airlines
- Hotel stays
- Car rentals
- Vacation packages
- Exclusive experiences
- Gift cards
- Charity donations
To get the most out of your points, make sure you use them toward award flights through Delta or their partners.
Earn & Redeem Delta Skymiles
Earning miles is straightforward on this card. Earn 2X Miles on Delta purchases, at restaurants worldwide and at U.S. supermarkets; 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
Redeem miles for Delta and more than 15 partner airlines. As long as your account remains open and in good standing, miles accumulated with this card never expire.
Why You Should Apply
- Unlimited Discounts on Airport Lounge Access. Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card membership entitles you and one traveling companion to unlimited discounts on Delta Sky Club single visit passes, which are good for one day at one Sky Club location. Cardholders and their companions get passes for $29 per person, compared with $59 per person at full price. Comparable airline rewards cards rarely offer such generous airport lounge deals.
- SkyMiles Can Be Valuable When Redeemed for Airfare. SkyMiles can be quite valuable when redeemed for Delta airfare. It’s reliably worth at least $0.075 per mile, often worth $0.01, and sometimes worth as much as $0.02. Keep in mind that point values can vary at redemption, even for the same routes, based on factors such as time, date, season, demand, and more.
- In-Flight Discounts. Delta’s in-flight 20% discount on in-flight purchases is a very nice perk. It’s particularly for travelers craving multiple refreshments or entertainment opportunities on longer flights. Receive savings in the form of a statement credit.
- No Foreign Transaction Fee. This benefit is always nice for frequent overseas travelers.
Reasons to Consider
- First Checked Bag Free. Save money with Delta for up to nine passengers traveling on the same reservation. This is the most generous companion bag policy of any airline credit card. Plus, save $50 or more on your next flight since bag fees start at $25 per person, each way. Even if you don’t travel often, it takes only two round-trip tickets to offset the card’s annual fee.
- Priority Boarding. Enjoy Zone 1 priority boarding on Delta and Delta Connection flights for up to nine passengers in the same reservation.
- Unlimited Discounts on Airport Lounge Access. Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card membership entitles you and one traveling companion to unlimited discounts on Delta Sky Club single visit passes, which are good for one day at one Sky Club location. Cardholders and up to two companions get passes for $29 per person, compared with $59 per person at full price. Comparable airline rewards cards rarely offer such generous airport lounge deals.
- In-Flight Discounts. Delta’s across-the-board 20% discount on in-flight purchases is a very nice perk, particularly for travelers craving multiple refreshments or entertainment opportunities on longer flights. Alaska Airlines Visa Signature ($75 annual fee) and Chase United MileagePlus Explorer don’t offer such discounts.
- No Foreign Transaction Fee.
- Points Never Expire as long as your account remains open and in good standing.
- Travel and Shopping Perks. Get travel accident insurance, secondary car rental loss and damage insurance, 24/7 access global assistance, and shopping benefits purchase protection and extended warranty.
Reason to Reconsider
- Charges an Annual Fee. This card comes with a $99 annual fee, which sets it apart from fee-free travel rewards cards. Plus, it’s waived the first year.
- Has a Penalty APR. If you accidentally miss a payment or two with this card, the high penalty APR is apt to bite you.
- Low Point Values for Non-Airfare Redemptions. When it comes time to redeem your accumulated SkyMiles, Delta airfare is far and away offers the best bang for your buck. The general merchandise and gift cards available at the SkyMiles Marketplace often sell for 2 to 3 SkyMiles per $0.01 – in other words, SkyMiles are worth just $0.003 to $0.005 here.
- Non-Delta Purchases Have Limited Earning Power. If you use this card for general, everyday spending, you won’t rack up the rewards very quickly. Only Delta purchases earn more than 1 SkyMile per $1 spent, raising the investment (both in terms of time and money) necessary to earn a free flight.
- No Bonus Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs). In order to achieve Delta’s Medallion status, you need to earn MQMs. While you earn these MQMs by actually flying with Delta. If you want to earn them while on the ground, you will need to use the Delta Reserve® Credit Card from American Express. Delta’s Medallion program is reserved for elite members. You’ll earn Medallion benefits ranging from seat upgrades, early boarding opportunities, to mileage bonuses.
- No Automatic Status Levels or Upgrades. You won’t get any special loyalty status levels. Those typically come with valuable perks such as discounts at partner hotels and accelerated point earnings.
- Not Widely Accepted Overseas. Because the Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card is an American Express card, you may have limited opportunities to use it when traveling abroad. Visa and Mastercard are more widely accepted.
Other Delta SkyMiles Gold Benefits
- Priority boarding on Delta Flights when you show your card. Find room for your carry-on bag and settle into your seat sooner.
- Online Year-End Summary organizes your finances. You can analyze your annual expenses in pie or bar charts, by categories like travel and restaurants. With your charges itemized in one place, the Online Year-End Summary is a great tool you can rely on to help prepare your taxes and manage your spending.
- First checked bag is free. It’s worth a saving of up to $50 on a round-trip Delta flight.
- Delta Sky Club access for you and two traveling companions. Get complimentary snacks and beverages, Wi-Fi access, satellite TV, newspapers and magazines, personalized flight assistance, private restrooms and more for a reduced fee.
- Rental coverage when you use your eligible Card to reserve and pay for the entire eligible auto rental. Just decline the collision damage waiver at the rental car counter. Get covered if the car is damaged or stolen. Exclusions and restrictions apply.
- Travel coverage when you travel more than 100 miles from home. You have 24/7 access to medical, legal, financial or other select emergency coordination and assistance services, including medical and legal referrals, assistance with cash wires, passport replacement, missing luggage and more.
- Purchase protection helps protect eligible purchases made with the Card against accidental damage and theft for up to 90 days from the date of purchase. Exclusions and restrictions apply.
- Extended warranty adds up to one extra year added to the original manufacturer’s warranty when you use your American Express Card for eligible purchases. Applies to warranties of 5 years or less. Exclusions and restrictions apply.
When using the Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card, you will be able to earn miles for every dollar spent on eligible Delta purchases and each dollar spent on your everyday purchases to later redeem for flights. Flying isn’t cheap and earning miles at such a quick rate can be a wise investment.
The Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card is equipped with first free checked bags, early boarding, and more discounts and savings that loyal Delta flyers can appreciate. Travel more with the Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card and enjoy every time you fly Delta.
Due to poor non-Delta rewards and limited earning power outside the Delta universe, it’s not great for infrequent Delta flyers. Those looking for a general-spending credit card, review our complete list of credit card bonuses.