South African Airways, also known as SAA, is the flag carrier airline of South Africa. This airline connects 40 local and international destinations across Africa, Asia, Europe, North America, South America and Oceania from Johannesburg.
See our best credit card bonuses here.
If you’re a fan of this airline, check out their frequent flyer program Voyager. There are a variety of ways to earn reward miles, along with plenty of ways to use them. Keep reading for everything you need to know about SAA Voyager.
Table of Contents
SAA Voyager Quick Facts
|Transfer Partners||Radisson Rewards|
|Cobranded Credit Card||None for U.S. residents|
|Redemption Options||Flights, upgrades, rental cars, merchandise, vouchers, flight simulation, donations|
Voyager Elite Status
When you join Voyager, you’ll automatically become a Blue member. Move up status tiers when you collect enough Tier Miles – by flying with SAA and Star Alliance – or within a year.
|STATUS TIER||TIER MILES REQUIRED|
Once you unlock a tier, you’ll have that status for the next 12 months. Status benefits include:
|Threshold bonus miles on achieving or retaining status||3,000||6,000||12,000|
|2,000 bonus miles for every 15,000 Tier Miles flown on SAA||x||x||x|
|Status bonus miles on SAA flights||25%||50%||75%|
|Free Economy Class preferential seating / first 2 seat rows on SAA flights||x|
|Priority baggage handling||x||x||x|
|Priority airport standby||x||x||x|
|Free baggage allowance||1||1||1|
|SAA lounge access||Member
|Arrivals lounge access at London Heathrow Airport||Member
|Access to SAA contracted lounges||Member
|Change fee waived for upgrade awards||x|
|Chauffeur transfer services on qualifying flights||x|
Earning Voyager Miles
Earn Voyager Miles for:
- Flying on SAA and SAA codeshare, Star Alliance and non-Star partner flights.
- Staying at participating Best Western, Hilton, Shangri-La and Intercontinental hotels.
- Booking cruises with Cruise International.
- Renting cars from Avis or Europcar.
Partner airlines include:
You’ll also earn miles for:
- Filling up at Total SA.
- Loading money on a World Currency Card by Bidvest Bank.
- Purchasing from Voyager Wine Club.
- Relaxing at a spa from the Health Spas guide.
Earning Voyager Miles With Transfer Partners
|LOYALTY PROGRAM||COBRANDED CREDIT CARDS|
|Marriott Bonvoy||Marriott Bonvoy Bold™ Credit Card
Marriott Bonvoy Boundless™ Credit Card
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card
Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card
|Radisson Rewards||Radisson Rewards Visa
Radisson Rewards Premier Visa Signature
Here is some more information on the credit cards mentioned above.
The Marriott Bonvoy Bold offers 30,000 Bonus Points after you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
This card earns up to 14X total Bonvoy points per $1 spent at over 7,000 hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy & 2X points for all other travel purchases. You’ll receive 1X points per $1 spent on all other purchases.
This card comes with no foreign transaction fees and you'll get 15 elite night credits each calendar year!
The Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Credit Card offers 3 Free Nights (each night valued up to 50,000 points) after spending $3,000 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening.
• Up to 17X total Bonvoy points per $1 spent at over 7,000 hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy & 2X Bonvoy points for every $1 spent on all other purchases.
• New Benefit! Earn 3X Bonvoy points per $1 on the first $6,000 spent in combined purchases each year on grocery stores, gas stations, and dining.
• New Benefit! Earn 1 Elite Night Credit towards Elite Status for every $5,000 you spend.
You gain an automatic Silver Elite Status each account anniversary year. Path to Gold Status when you spend $35,000 on purchases each account year.
You'll receive 15 Elite Night Credits each calendar year & an additional Free Night Award (valued up to 35,000 points) every year after account anniversary.
This card does carry a $95 fee; there are no foreign transaction fees.
The Marriott Bonvoy BrilliantTM American Express® Card offers 75,000 Marriott Bonvoy bonus points after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases on the Card within the first 3 months.
In addition, you can enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at hotels participating in the Marriott BonvoyTM program.
With this card, you'll earn:
• 6X Marriott Bonvoy points for each dollar of eligible purchases at hotels participating in the Marriott BonvoyTM program.
• 3X points at U.S. restaurants and on flights booked directly with airlines.
• 2X points on all other eligible purchases.
This card comes with a $450 annual fee and no foreign transaction fees. However, you can receive 1 free Night Award every year after your Card renewal month. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy Points) at a participating hotel. Certain hotels have resort fees. (See Rates & Fees)
Furthermore, enjoy unlimited airport lounge visits when you enroll in Priority Pass Select membership.
The Marriott Bonvoy BusinessTM American Express® Card offers 75,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in eligible purchases within the first 3 months of Card Membership.
You can enjoy a complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Silver Elite status with your Card. Plus, earn Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
You'll earn 6x points at hotels participating in the Marriott BonvoyTM program, 4x points at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping, & 2x points on all other eligible purchases.
You'll receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card renewal month. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel. Certain hotels have resort fees.
This card does carry a $125 annual fee. (See Rates & Fees)
Redeeming Voyager Miles
Voyager Miles can be used for the following:
- Flights with SAA and more than 35 airline partners, including Star Alliance carriers.
- Upgrades on SAA flights.
- Rental cars with Europcar.
- Merchandise with FlySAA Duty Free.
- Merchandise with Wine-of-the-Month.
- Vouchers with Uber, Cruises International, and Health Spas guide.
- Flight simulation with SAA Flight Simulator.
- Charitable donations.
Voyager Miles expire 36 months from when they were earned. You must keep your account active with any earn or burn activity at least every three years.
Voyager Tips & Tricks
- Best value awards are partner airline flights between the United States and South America. Economy seats are 50,000 miles roundtrip, and business class is a steal at 75,000 miles.
- We also recommend roundtrip intra-North and South Asia flights with 32,200 miles in business or 47,900 in first class.
- Stay away from upgrade awards, which are only available by sector, to the next highest level of service and are subject to high taxes, surcharges and fees.
If you’re looking for a Star Alliance member, South African Airways Voyager is a great option to look into. You can easily earn and burn miles with any partner airline, and high earning potential with point transfers from Marriott Bonvoy and Radisson Rewards.
We recommend that you consider frequent flyer programs from other Star Alliance members that allows American Express Membership Rewards® point transfers instead? You’ll want to check out Air Canada Aeroplan or Singapore Airlines.