Qantas Airways is the flag carrier of Australia as well as the world’s third-oldest airline. The Oneworld founding member flies to 27 international destination in 14 countries across Africa, the Americas, Asia, Europe and Oceania, not counting destinations served by its subsidiaries.
Quanta’s loyalty program, Frequent Flyer, makes it possible for members to earn and spend points on flights, upgrades and other experiences with the carrier and its partners. Continue reading below to learn more about EL AL’s frequent flyer program.
Frequent Flyer Summary
|Hubs||Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney|
|Redemption Options||Flights, upgrades, lounge access, merchandise, gift cards, hotel rooms, rental cars, wine, insurance, donations|
|Average Mile Value||$0.011|
Frequent Flyer Elite Status
There are four elite status tiers for Qantas Frequent Flyer: Silver, Gold, Platinum and Platinum One. To go from one tier to the next, you must earn a certain number of Status Credits:
|STATUS TIER||STATUS CREDITS REQUIRED|
(at least 2,700 on Qantas flights)
The number of Status Credits earned per flight depends on where you fly, as well as airline and fare purchased. The more premium the cabin and the more flexible the fare, the more Status Credits you earn.
Your status benefits unlock the moment you reach a tier until the end of the next full membership year.
|Status Bonus Points w/ Qantas & Jetstar||50%||75%||100%||100%|
|Status Bonus Points w/ American Airlines||50%||75%||100%||100%|
|Preferred & complimentary seating||×||×||×||×|
|Preferential access to Classic Flight Reward Seats||×||×||×||×|
|International upgrades 2 days to departure||×||×|
|International upgrades 7 days to departure||×|
|Gift Platinum membership||×|
|Dedicated Platinum One Team support||×|
|Complimentary Extra Legroom Seating||×|
|Priority waitlist/airport standby||×||×||×||×|
|Additional checked bag allowance||×||×||×||×|
|Chip-enabled Qantas Card||×||×||×|
|Chip-enabled Q Bag Tags||×||×||×|
|Premium security lanes||Domestic||×||×|
|Priority checked baggage||×||×||×|
|Qantas Club||1 invite||×||×||×|
|Qantas Domestic Business Lounge||×||×|
|Qantas International Business Lounge||×||×||×|
|Access to Oneworld member lounges||×||×||×|
|Access to Emirates Business Lounge||×||×||×|
|Access to Qantas First Lounge||×||×|
|Access to Emirates First Lounge||×||×|
|2 complimentary lounge invitations||×|
|Choice of Platinum Bonus Reward||×||×|
|Bonus Qantas Points||×|
|Qantas Wine membership||×|
|Qantas Golf Club Premium membership||×|
|Access to Qantas MCA Lounge||×|
|Invitations to special events and experiences||×|
Lifetime Gold membership is awarded to those aged 67 years and over who have held Gold, Platinum or Top Platinum status for 10 consecutive years.
Earning Qantas Points
Earn Qantas Points on every eligible flight with Qantas, Jetstar and over 50 Oneworld member and partner airlines, as well as their affiliates. How many points you earn depends on the fare class and type of ticket you purchased.
Partner airlines include:
- Malaysia Airlines
- Qatar Airways
- Royal Air Maroc
- Royal Jordanian
- S7 Airlines
- Solomon Airlines
- SriLankan Airlines
You can also earn points when you travel or shop with Qantas Frequent Flyer partners.
- Rental cars, including Qantas Transfers, Avis and Budget.
- Qantas Activities, with Viator.
- The Qantas Club
Points can be purchased in blocks of 1,000 if you find yourself short when trying to redeem them.
Earning Qantas Points with American Express Membership Rewards
As a United States citizen, the easiest way to earn Qantas Points is by transferring your Amex Membership Rewards points at a 1:1 ratio. Credit cards that earn Amex Membership Rewards include:
|Personal Credit Cards||The Platinum Card from American Express
American Express Gold Card
American Express Green Card
|Business Credit Cards||The Business Platinum Card from American Express
American Express Business Gold Card
The Platinum Card® from American Express offers 80,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $8,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
• 5X Membership Rewards Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
• 5X Membership Rewards Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
This card comes with an annual fee of $695 (See Rates & Fees), but you cardholders can enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member and Additional Centurion Cards only. Terms Apply.
The American Express® Gold Card offers 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $6,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 6 months. Terms apply.
• 4X Membership Rewards Points at Restaurants, plus takeout and delivery in the U.S.,
• 4X Membership Rewards points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per calendar year in purchases, then 1X).
• 3X Membership Rewards points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
$120 Dining Credit: Satisfy your cravings and earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with the American Express Gold Card at Grubhub, The Cheesecake Factory, Goldbelly, Wine.com, Milk Bar and select Shake Shack locations. Enrollment required.
This card has an annual fee of $250 with no foreign transaction fees (See Rates & Fees).
The Business Platinum Card® from American Express has a welcome offer of 120,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $15,000 on eligible purchases with your Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership.
• 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on AmexTravel.com.
• 1.5X Membership Rewards points on eligible purchases at US construction material, hardware suppliers, electronic goods retailers and software & cloud system providers, and shipping providers, as well as on purchases of $5,000 or more everywhere else, on up to $2 million of these purchases per calendar year.
• 1X points for each dollar you spend on eligible purchases
• Unlock over $1,000 in value per year for statement credits on select purchases, including tech, recruiting and wireless with the Business Platinum Card.
• $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees charged by your one selected, qualifying airline to your Card.
• $189 CLEAR Plus Credit: Use your card and get up to $189 in statement credits per calendar year on your CLEAR Plus Membership (subject to auto-renewal) when you use your Business Platinum Card.
This card does come with a $695 annual fee. (See Rates & Fees)
The American Express® Business Gold Card offers 70,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 on eligible purchases with the Business Gold Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership.
You'll earn more rewards:
• Earn 4X Membership Rewards points on the 2 categories where your business spends the most each billing cycle from 6 eligible categories. While your top 2 categories may change, you will earn 4X points on the first $150,000 in combined purchases from these categories each calendar year (then 1X thereafter). Only the top 2 categories each billing cycle will count towards the $150,000 cap.
• Earn up to $20 in statement credits monthly after you use the Business Gold Card for eligible U.S. purchases at FedEx, Grubhub, and Office Supply Stores. This can be an annual savings of up to $240. Enrollment required.
• Get $12.95 back in statement credits each month when you pay for a monthly Walmart+ membership (subject to auto-renewal) with your Business Gold Card. $12.95 plus applicable taxes.
This card does carry a $295 annual fee ($375 if application is received on or after 2/1/24), but no foreign transaction fees. (See Rates & Fees)
Other transfer partners include:
*With a 5,000-point bonus for every 60,000 points transferred.
Redeeming Qantas Points
Qantas Points expire after 18 months of inactivity. In order to keep your account active, you need to earn or burn points at least every year and a half.
Redeem your Qantas Points for flights with Qantas and Jetstar:
- Classic Flight Rewards. This is a great option if you’re looking for value.
- Points Plus Pay Flights. Use a combination of points and cash.
- Classic Upgrade Rewards. Upgrade to Premium Economy, Business or First if you’re flying on a Qantas-marketed and operated flight.
- Bid Now Upgrades. If your ticket is eligible, you may be invited to use your points, or a combination of points and cash, to upgrade to a more premium cabin.
Classic Flight Rewards are available with all the airline partners below. Points Plus Pay Flights are only available with selected partner airlines.
The Qantas Club gives unlimited access to the largest airline lounge network in Australia and overseas, as well as the following perks:
- One complimentary guest invite each time you travel.
- On departure upgrade rewards on domestic Classic Flight Rewards.
- Additional checked baggage when flying Economy and Premium Economy and priority check-in on Qantas flights.
- Discounts on Qantas meeting rooms in Australia.
|One Year||52,000 points||$360|
|Two Years||89,000 points||$580|
|Four Years||155,000 points||$1,150|
There’s also a one-time joining fee of 37,000 Qantas Points.
Use your Qantas Points for:
- Products and gift cards from the Qantas Store.
- Hotel stays via Qantas Hotels or Luxury Escapes.
- Rental cars with Avis, Budget, Hertz or Thrifty.
- Wine, spirits and gourmet food from Qantas Wine.
- Health, travel, car and life insurance through Qantas Insurance.
- Woolworths eGift cards.
- Charitable donations.
Qantas Tips & Tricks
Upgrades on Qantas-operated flights: Requesting an upgrade with points is a painless process, and you’ll have a good chance at getting them cleared.
Qantas domestic & trans-Tasman business class: There’s often availability if you have flexible travel dates, and if you look for an award seat early enough.
Jetstar Starclass: Jetstar flies a number of domestic and international routes that Qantas does not cover. Plus, you’ll get a 20% points discount for Jetstar Starclass when it’s available on a route.
Redemptions with Qantas-specific partners.:Particularly Emirates and Fiji Airways. These partners are not available through global alliances.
Oneworld classic flight awards: These are huge, multi-stop itineraries that include two or more oneworld airlines without Qantas, or three or more airlines with Qantas.
Qantas regularly offers exclusive promotions, letting you earn bonus points with various partners. Sign up for the Qantas mailing list and keep a close eye on the Qantas website, so you can stay on top of these limited-time deals. Make sure to read the terms and conditions carefully.
Although Qantas Frequent Flyer isn’t the most valuable airline loyalty program out there, it does offer an easy way to “earn” points by transferring from popular rewards programs, such as American Express Membership Rewards, Citi ThankYou Rewards and Capital One Rewards. Additionally, Qantas provides some great options for redeeming your points.