Discounted gift cards are a great way to save money on purchases you need to make! They can be also be a good way to make additional dollars by reselling cards for more than the price you bought them for.
The great thing is that it’s often possible to stack two or more offers in order to save even more. To give you some ideas, keep on reading below to find the easiest ways to stack gift card purchases to save even more money!
Table of Contents
All grocery stores have a rack containing gift cards on more than 50 different retailers, making them a convenient place to pick up gift cards. Not only that, they also offer several opportunities to save money and earn rewards.
- Digital Coupons
- Fuel Points
- Credit Card Category Bonus
For example, Kroger released more than 30 digital coupons offering discounts on third party gift cards. They also offered a digital coupon where you can earn 4X fuel points on any third party gift purchases you make. It depends on which brands you bought since the savings were different for each brand, but they range between 10 to 20%.
But that’s not only that many credit cards offer bonus points/miles for purchases made at grocery stores!
Office Supply Stores
While grocery stores are a great place to source gift cards, you can also find a good selection from office supply stores, like Staples and Office Depot/ Office Max. There are a couple of ways to save money and earn rewards when purchasing gift cares from there.
- Visa/Mastercard Gift Card Sales
- Ink Plus/ Ink Cash Credit Card
The first is that both Staples and Office Depot offer instant discount of $10 or $15 when buying $300+ worth of Visa or Mastercard gift cards.
Also there are some credit cards that per bonus points on purchase from office supply stores. A noteworthy one would be Chase’s Ink Plus and Ink Cash cards that offer 5X/5% back.
Restaurant Promo Cards
Many chain restaurants offer promo cards when buying their gift cards, usually leading up to the holiday season. For example, people usually buy a $50 gift card and receiving between $10 and $15 worth of promo card.
The only downside of bonus cards is that it has to be used between a certain set of dates. If you don’t use a promo code by the expiration date, it goes to waste. But if you do use it, you’re getting $60-$65 of gift cards for only $50.
You can save even more by taking advantage of AmEx Offers, Chase Offers or discounted Happy gift cards. Here’s how they work:
Chase Offers & Amex Offers
- Chase Offers and Amex Offers are similar, but they tend to be set up slightly different. Amex Offers gives you a specific statement credit amount when spending a certain amount. While most Chase Offers are for a certain percentage off your purchase, with an upper limit on the statement credit you receive. List of Chase Offers Promotions
Happy Gift Cards
- Happy gift cards can be bought at a discounted price! Happy gift cards work differently to Amex and Chase Offers, but they also offer an opportunity for further savings. These particular gift cards are ones that can be used at a specific set of trailers. For example, Happy Bites cards can be use at Jamba Juice, Peet’s Coffee, Burger King, and Panera Bread.
- This stacking opportunity is largely confined to Best Buy, so it’s good if you’re planning purchases there. Best Bust buy often sells gift cards that come with savings code! These savings codes are similar to restaurant promo cards in that they have to be used by a certain date or they’ll expire. The savings cards therefore can’t be resold, but it effectively workout out as a 9% discount for personal purchases.
- Best Buy also run its own rewards scheme that offers up to 2.5% back, depending on your status level, your status is based on how much you spend with them each year. Compared to other retailers’ loyalty schemes, Best Buy award those point when you buy gift cards rather than when you use them.
- Coupon Codes
- Cashback Portals
- Discounted Happy Gift Cards
Stacking cashback portals and coupon codes is a rare opportunity. That’s because coupon codes can normally only be used for product purchases rather than for gift cards. Check out our list of Best Cash Back Portals! Also note, depending on how good a discount you can get on Happy gift cards, you could stack the coupon code, portal cashback and discounted Happy gift cards to save up to 45%!
Wholesales clubs like Sam’s Club, Costco, and BJ’s sell a limited number of gift card brands at a discount. The discounts they offer sometimes increase! At certain times of the year, you can stack these discounted git cards with bonus credit card rewards.
Wholesale clubs are often included as a 5% category for one quarter each year with Discover and Chase Freedom credit cards! Here are some credit cards with quarterly categories:
- Chase Freedom- Review
- Discover It- Review
The United ClubSM Infinite Card offers 100,000 bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open.
With this card, you'll earn:
• 4X miles per $1 spent on United purchases including tickets, Economy Plus, inflight food, beverages and Wi-Fi, and other United charges.
• 2X miles per $1 spent on all other travel
• 2X miles per $1 spent on dining at restaurants and eligible delivery services
• 1X mile per $1 spent on all other purchases
Plus, you'll get 25% back as a statement credit on purchases of food, beverages and Wi-Fi onboard United-operated flight when you pay with your Club Card.
This card does carry an annual fee of $525. However, you can get up to $100 Global Entry or TSA PrecheckTM Fee Credit. In addition, you'll get a savings of up to $320 per roundtrip (terms apply) by getting your first and second checked bags for free!
Now that you have some ideas for how to stack gift card purchases, you can check out our list of Best Gift Card Promotions! Having gift cards earmarked for your purchases allows you to shop sales and coupons to save even more! And while you’re here on HMB, discover other ways to Save Money!
|TD Bank Checking Bonus: Earn $300 with the Beyond Checking account when you receive direct deposits of $2,500 or more within 60 days of opening your account. Earn $150 with the Convenience Checking account when you receive direct deposits of $500 or more within 60 days of opening your account. Apply Now---TD Bank Checking Review|
|Chase Total Checking®: Earn $200 bonus when you open a new Total Checking® account and set up a qualifying direct deposit into this account within 60 days of account opening. Access to 16,000 Chase ATMs and nearly 4,900 branches. Apply Now---Chase Total Checking Review|
|Huntington Asterisk-Free Checking: Earn a $150 bonus when opening a Huntington Asterisk-Free Checking account and make total deposits of at least $1,000 within 60 days of account opening. The $150 will be deposited into your account after all requirements are met and your account is open for 90 days. Apply Now---Huntington Asterisk-Free Checking Review|
|American Express Personal Savings Account: Earn 1.00% APY on your deposits. Your Personal Savings account earns interest daily and is posted to your account monthly, links easily with your current bank accounts, get 24/7 access, & there is no need to switch banks. No monthly fees, no minimum balance. FDIC Insured.
Apply Now---American Express Personal Savings Account Review