Before the New Year comes upon us, take a quick stop at your local bank and make sure your finances are in good shape. However, because New Year’s Day is a standard Federal Reserve bank holiday, celebrated by most, if not all, banks, you might want to consider visiting the bank before that day. Continue reading to learn if banks are open on New Years.
Table of Contents
Banks Open on New Year’s Eve 2020
Many banks will remain open on New Year’s Eve, but may have different hours from normal. Here are some of the banks that will be open on New Year’s Eve:
- Bank of America: Normal branch hours
- Bank of the West: Normal branch hours
- BBVA: Normal branch hours
- BB&T: Branches open 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- BMO Harris Bank: Branches open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Capital One: Normal branch hours
- Chase: Branches open 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Citizens Bank: Branches open 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Fifth Third Bank: Branches open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Huntington: Branches open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- KeyBank: Branches open 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- People’s United Bank: Branches open 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- PNC Bank: Most branches open 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Regions: Branches open 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Santander Bank: Branches open 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- SunTrust: Normal branch hours
- TD Bank: Many branches open 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- UBank: Branches open 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Union Bank: Many branches open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- U.S. Bank: Branches open 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Wells Fargo: Branches open 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Another thing to keep in mind is that some locations may be closed or have limited service due to the pandemic. Call ahead to make absolutely sure that your bank is open.
Banks Open on New Year’s Day 2021
New Year’s Day is a Federal Reserve bank holiday, so most banks will be closed Jan. 1, 2021.
Keep in mind, however, that many financial institutions have online and mobile banking options that you’ll still be able to access — even if your local branch is closed.
How To Access Your Money If Your Bank Is Closed
Although your bank may be closed one of the two days, you still have option of using online banking and ATMs. Both these options allow you to gain access to your funds even if your bank is closed. many ATMs are even open 24/7, and many bank branches even have drive-thru ATMs that are open even if the bank is closed.
If you need a money order, however, you still have some options available. The key to this is to find a retailer that stays open long enough for you to complete the transaction. For example, Walmart sells money orders at its Supercenter and Neighborhood Market stores, which will be open during the holiday.
2021 Bank Holidays
Start the new year off right by penning this holiday schedule into your calendar.
|New Year’s Day||Jan. 1|
|Martin Luther King Jr. Day||Jan. 18|
|Presidents Day||Feb. 15|
|Memorial Day||May 31|
|Independence Day||July 4|
|Labor Day||Sept. 6|
|Columbus Day||Oct. 11|
|Veterans Day||Nov. 11|
|Thanksgiving Day||Nov. 25|
|Christmas Day||Dec. 25|
These days are all listed as a bank holiday according to the Federal Reserve, so that means they will typically be closed on these days. However, you can always do your own research and call your local bank to see if they will be operating on any of these days.
If you’re in need of some cash or simply want to check on your finances during New Year’s or New Year’s Eve, then you’ve come to the right place. Although New Year’s Day is designated bank holiday, not all banks have to follow the tradition of being closed, so you can always do your own research to see if they have limited hours. New Year’s Eve is not considered a bank holiday but some banks may have different hours, so be sure to check and see the hours of operation before your make your trip. For more posts like this, check out our list of bank guides!