Even though US Bank is the fifth largest bank, will it still match your expectations and suit your needs? To find out if US Bank is right for you, continue reading the review below.
US Bank has 3,000 branches and 5,300 ATMs throughout the United States. They cater to people of all ages and have various checking and savings accounts.
Table of Contents
- 1 Checking Account Options
- 2 Compare Checking Accounts
- 3 Saving Account Options
- 4 Compare Savings Accounts
- 5 Money Market Account Options
- 6 Compare Money Market Accounts
- 7 CD Account Options
- 8 Compare CD Accounts
- 9 US Bank Credit Cards
- 10 Reasons To Bank With US Bank
- 11 Reasons Not To Bank With US Bank
- 12 US Bank Routing Number
- 13 Contact Customer Service
- 14 How US Bank Compares
- 15 Compare to Other Banks
- 16 Bottom Line
Checking Account Options
US Bank has a variety of checking accounts. Each checking accounts come with a US Bank Visa Debit Card, access to online/mobile banking, online bill pay, and free use of US Bank ATMs.
This “basic” checking account doesn’t pay interest, but you need an average account balance of $1,500 or monthly direct deposits to waive the monthly fee.
The Premium checking account does earn interest, and you won’t pay fees for using a non-US Bank ATM.
You’ll also receive discounts on personal checks and no fees for paper statements.
You can waive the monthly fee with a $5,000 minimum balance or if one of the checking account owners is 65 years or older.
The Silver checking doesn’t pay interest, but it does have other benefits.
This checking account includes access to a Package Money Market Savings account for no charge and preferred rates on US Bank loans and credit cards.
You can waive the monthly fee if you have a Package Money Market Savings Account and a combined balance of $1,500 or monthly direct deposits of at least $1,000.
You can open this checking account free of charge if you have a US Bank credit card or line of credit.
With this gold checking account, you can get several benefits.
You’ll get two “free” non-US Bank ATM transactions per month, access to two more Easy Checking accounts for family members (you must be on the account too)
There is also no overdraft transfer fee when you transfer from a US Bank linked deposit account.
This account is the highest tier checking account available for their customers.
Although it is interest bearing, this account has a monthly fee, but it can be waived by having a combined balance of $25,000.
This account also offers no non-US Bank ATM fees nor transfer fees for overdraft protection if transferred from a US Bank line of credit.
Students can have access to a basic US Bank checking account with no monthly maintenance fee.
You don’t have to worry about minimum deposit requirements either. Students get four “no fee” non-US Bank ATM transactions per cycle.
This is a “checkless” checking account. It’s similar to a prepaid checking card, but you get access to online/mobile banking.
There is a low monthly maintenance fee that you cannot waive, but you do get access to discounted money orders (if you should need to pay someone by check) and free access to your credit score.
Compare Checking Accounts
• New Chase checking customers enjoy a $200 bonus when you open a Chase Total Checking® account and set up direct deposit
• Access to 16,000 Chase ATMs and more than 4,700 branches
• Chase Mobile® app - Manage your accounts, deposit checks, transfer money and more -- all from your device.
• Open your account online now
• Available online nationwide except in Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico. For branch locations, visit locator.chase.com.
• Chase Overdraft AssistSM: $0 overdraft fee when you overdraw your account $50 or less*
*We won't charge an overdraft fee if you are overdrawn $50 or less at the end of the business day. Chase may pay, for a $34 fee, overdraft transactions at our discretion based on your account history, deposits and transaction amount. If you've enrolled in Debit Card Coverage, everyday debit card purchases like groceries, may be approved at our discretion when you don't have enough money in your account.
Open your Huntington 25 Checking account today and enjoy:
• $300 bonus by making cumulative new money deposits of at least $25,000 within 60 days of account opening. $300 will be deposited in your new account within 14 days of meeting requirements.
• 24-Hour Grace Overdraft Fee Relief. It is designed to give you more time to make a deposit in order to avoid an Overdraft Fee.
• Earn Interest on Balances.
• Free ATM Withdrawals. They’ll waive all non-Huntington ATM cash withdrawal fees at any ATM and reimburse you for some withdrawal fees charged by another ATM owner.
• Waived Monthly Maintenance Fee
• Credit score and identity monitoring at no added cost
Saving Account Options
US Bank comes with online/mobile banking that gives you access to your savings account. You can also get recurring bank transfers, overdraft protection options, and free access to ATMs.
This simple savings account can be opened with just $25. If you keep a balance of $1,000, you can waive the monthly service fee.
you don’t need any starting balance to open this account.
You can set up automatic $25 or larger deposits, and US Bank will automatically transfer money from your US Bank checking account in the frequency and amount that you request.
You’ll earn a fixed interest rate on your earnings.
Compare Savings Accounts
With the American Express® High Yield Savings Account:
• Earn 0.60% APY as of 4/28/22 on your deposits. Your High Yield Savings account earns interest daily and is posted to your account monthly.
• Links easily with your current bank accounts. No need to switch banks.
• FDIC Insured. Your account is insured to at least $250,000 per depositor.
• 24/7 Account Access
With the CIT Bank Savings Builders account:
• Earn a top tier, competitive APY on your money—one of the top savings rates in the nation. Earn up to 0.55% APY on your funds - grow your savings faster.
• Build a habit of savings. Pay yourself first. Start with $100 per month and build your habit of savings-—all while getting a top rate.
• FDIC Insured
Open a Discover Online Savings Account for all these features:
• Bonus offer applies for your first Discover Online Savings Account
• Earn $200/$150 Bonus with promo code HMB222 by 06/15/2022
• Fund your first savings account with at least of $25K within 30 days of account open date to earn the $200 Bonus
• Fund your first savings account with at least of $15K within 30 days of account open date to earn the $150 Bonus
• Earn high interest rate of 0.60% APY
• No minimum opening deposit, no minimum balance requirement, and now no fees
• Interest on Discover Online Savings Accounts is compounded daily and credited monthly
• Manage your account online or with the Discover mobile app
• FDIC insurance up to $250,000
See advertiser website for full details
Money Market Account Options
Money Market accounts allow for a higher yield and gives access to your funds with either checks or a bankcard. US Bank has specific savings accounts that earn money market interest rates.
They come in tiered packages.
If you get the platinum checking account you’ll be given the chance to open a Platinum Select Money Market Savings account.
This account offers competitive interest rates and has no monthly maintenance fee.
You’ll need $25 to open the account.
If you have a silver or gold checking account, you can open a Package Money market Savings account.
It too offers competitive interest rates and has no monthly fee.
You’ll need at least $25 to open the savings account.
Open this account with $100 and earn higher interest rates. Your balance also increases with each earning.
You’ll need a $10,000 minimum balance to waive the monthly fee.
You will also get check writing privileges with this money market account, and access to online/mobile banking as well.
This account can be opened with a $100 deposit or a $25 automatic deposit.
You need a balance of at least $1,000 in order to waive the maintenance fee.
Compare Money Market Accounts
• Earn 0.25% APY with the Axos Bank High Yield Money Market
• FDIC Insured
• Check writing privileges
• No monthly maintenance fees
• No minimum balance requirements
• Debit card transactions
• Minimum Balance Required to Open the Account: $ 1000.00
• Get started and open a Discover Money Market Account in 3 easy steps.
• Available nationwide online
• Earn high yields with flexible access to your cash.
• Earn 0.55% APY balances $100,000 and over
• Earn 0.50% APY balances under $100,000
• Open with as little as $2,500.
• No hidden fees. No surprises.
• Easy cash access via debit or check, or via ATM at over 60,000 no-fee ATMs
With the CIT Bank Money Market Account, you can earn a competitive interest rate and access your money easily.
• Earn 0.70% APY on your funds
• One of the nation's top rates — several times the national average.
• Get up to 6 digital transfers/withdrawals per statement cycle
• Save smart and get more for your money
• Higher rates than traditional banks
• Get 24/7 Account Access
• Secure banking features
• Open with as little as $100
• FDIC insured
CD Account Options
Down below are how you can earn a higher interest rate by obtaining a CD Account with US Bank.
With a $1,000 deposit, you can open a “special promotion” CD with promotional rates. These accounts ranges from 11 month to 59 months.
If you have $500 you can invest in a standard CD account. Time ranges from one month to 60 months.
During the 28-month term, this CD’s interest rate increases at 7, 14 and 21 months.
From 30 or 60 months, you have the opportunity to lock in a higher interest rate one time. You need $1,000 to open this account.
Compare CD Accounts
• Available nationwide online, Discover offers CDs with some of the highest & most competitive rates! with select terms as short as 3 months up to 120 months
• Rates ranging from 0.30% APY up to 2.50% APY.
• Opening a Discover Bank Certificate of Deposit is extremely quick and easy.
• Funds on deposit are FDIC-insured up to the maximum allowed by law.
• Start today with a minimum deposit of $2,500!
• Get started and open a Discover CD in 3 easy steps.
• Available online nationwide
• Earn 0.30% APY on a 12-Month CD Term
• Earn up to 0.50% APY
• $1,000 minimum to open
• Selection of terms to meet your needs
• A range of choices. Low minimum deposits.
• No fees to open or maintain the account
• Available as Custodial
• Open a CIT Bank Certificate of Deposit Account today!
With the CIT Bank No-Penalty 11-Month CD:
• Earn 0.30% APY on your funds with just a $1,000 minimum deposit.
• The perfect balance between a great fixed rate and flexible money access.
• Access funds, if needed. No penalty.
• No opening or maintenance fees
• Shorter 11-month timeframe and a great APY
• If you need your funds prior to the maturity date, you can withdraw your money — including any interest earned — beginning seven days after the funds have been received. No penalty. No problem. It's the security of a CD with the flexibility to access your funds early if you need them.
US Bank Credit Cards
The U.S. Bank Cash+® Visa Signature® Card offers $200 bonus after spending $1,000 in eligible purchases within the first 120 days of account opening.
You'll be able to earn:
• 5% cash back on your first $2,000 in combined eligible purchases each quarter on two categories you choose.
• 5% cash back on prepaid air, hotel and car reservations booked directly in the Rewards Travel Center.
• 2% cash back on one everyday category, like Gas Stations/EV Charging Stations, Grocery Stores or Restaurants.
• 1% cash back on all other eligible purchases.
This card comes with no annual fee. Terms and conditions apply.
The U.S. Bank Altitude® Go Visa Signature® Card offers 20,000 bonus points when you spend $1,000 in eligible purchases within the first 90 days of account opening That's a $200 value redeemable towards merchandise, gift cards, cash back, travel and more.
You'll earn 4X points on takeout, food delivery & dining; 2X points at grocery stores, grocery delivery, gas stations & on streaming services; 1X point per $1 on all other eligible purchases.
In addition, you'll get $15 credit for annual streaming service purchases such as Netflix and Spotify.
There is no annual fee with this card.
The U.S. Bank Business Leverage Visa Card® offers $750 in rewards when you spend $7,500 in eligible purchases on the account owners' card within the first 120 days of opening your account.
• 2% back in the top two categories where you spend the most each month automatically.
• 1% cash per dollar spent on all other eligible purchases.
• 5% cash back on prepaid hotels and car rentals booked directly in the Travel Rewards Center.
There are no reward caps or limits on the total rewards your business can earn. Redeem for your choice of cash back, gift cards, merchandise and travel.
There is no annual fee for the first year, $95 thereafter. You'll also get free employee cards. Terms and conditions apply
The U.S. Bank Business Cash Rewards World EliteTM Mastercard® offers $500 cash back after spending $3,000 in the first 90 days of opening your account. Limited time offer.
• Up to 3% cash back on eligible gas station, office supply store and cell phone/service provider net purchases.
• 1% cash back on other eligible net purchases with no limit on total rewards and they never expire!
Plus, a 25% Annual Cash Rewards bonus, up to $250.
There is no annual fee.
Reasons To Bank With US Bank
- US Bank has a Smart Savings Program that gives customers a chance to start savings with very little money. This comes with a complimentary Silver account or higher and can make automatic transfers from your checking account to your savings.
- The Star Savers Club Account requires just $25 to open the account and helps kids ages 17 and under manage money and earn interest. This is a great opportunity to help them learn about banking and starting their financial future.
- Make transfers, deposit, and have access to your account with US Bank’s 24/7 service.
- Create Online Bill Payment alerts to warn you of upcoming payments.
- Send money to friends and family via Zelle, a trusted money transferring app recommended by US Bank.
- With location services on, US Bank will locate you and your card.
Reasons Not To Bank With US Bank
- Location location location. US Bank is unfortunately only available in 26 states. If you’re in one of those unlucky states and prefer online banking, consider looking elsewhere.
- If you want your fees waived, expect to put in a hefty amount into your account.
- On the occasion you go over your balance, expect expensive repercussions. Their overdraft fees can seem unforgiving.
US Bank Routing Number
The main routing number is 091000022. To find find this routing number, you can simply check the bottom left corner of your checks – check to see if this number differs.
Contact Customer Service
Reach US Bank Customer Service at 1 (800) 872-2657. Reps are available Monday – Friday from 9 AM – 4 PM.
How US Bank Compares
- Chase Bank: Chase is one of the biggest banks in the U.S and offers just about almost everything. Compared to its other competitors, Chase offers much more checking account options.
- BMO Harris Bank: BMO Harris offers a large, fee-free ATM network with more than 43,000 participating ATMs. Their account selections are much less than what US Bank offers, and they only have one interest-bearing checking account that requires a $25,000 balance to waive the high monthly service charge.
- Wells Fargo: Located throughout the US with over 5,800 branches and 13,000 ATMs. They offer a variety of deposits accounts, including accounts for teens and customers who need a second chance.
Compare to Other Banks
- US Bank vs Citibank
- US Bank vs Bank of America
- Chase vs US Bank
- Huntington Bank vs US Bank
- PNC Bank vs US Bank
- Wells Fargo vs US Bank
- Citibank vs US Bank
- Bank of America vs US Bank
US Bank is for those who are interested in exploring the large selection of checking and savings accounts they have to offer. Ranging from a basic checking and savings accounts to combined ones, US Bank ensures that they have an option for any kind of person.
However, keep in mind that when you look for a checking or savings account be sure to look into all the fees charged. Don’t focus on the interest rate alone, but on what the account will cost you overall.