When it comes to banking, you have multiple ways that you might store your money. This could be done at a traditional brick-and-mortar bank, a credit union, or an online or mobile-only bank.
You should definitely understand the many options and be sure to look for some features.
Read on as we will discuss the five basic services that your bank or credit union should offer.
Please understand that not all of them do so if yours doesn’t, then you might want to consider moving your money elsewhere.
See our best bank bonuses updated daily to earn up to $1,000 in free money. Find popular checking offers such as Chase Bank, HSBC Bank, TD Bank, Huntington Bank, BBVA, Discover Bank, and CIT Bank. See our best rates for Savings and CD too.
|Chase Business Checking $300 Bonus||Chase Private Client $2,000 Bonus|
|Chase Total Checking® $200 Bonus||Chase SavingsSM $150 Bonus|
|HSBC Premier Checking $450 Bonus||HSBC Premier Checking Up To $600|
|HSBC Advance Checking $200 Bonus||HSBC Advance Checking Up To $240|
|TD Bank Premier Checking $300 Bonus||TD Bank Convenience Checking $150 Bonus|
|Huntington 25 Checking $500 Bonus||Huntington 5 Checking $200 Bonus|
|Huntington Asterisk-Free Checking $150 Bonus||Huntington Unlimited Plus Business Checking $750 Bonus|
|Huntington Unlimited Business Checking $400 Bonus||Huntington Business Checking 100 $200 Bonus|
|Axos Basic Business Checking $100 Bonus||Aspiration Spend & Save Account $100 Bonus|
Table of Contents
Basic Features You Should Expect From Your Bank
There are a few basic features that you should expect your bank to offer.
- If you use a brick-and-mortar bank, most likely it’s a 0.01% APY. Nowadays, the best online banks often pay between 1.50% and 2.00% APY. If you switch to an online bank, you can earn more on your savings!
- Of course 2% isn’t that great but it sure looks better than 0.01%. Use this knowledge to your advantage for solid interests on savings.
- To get straight to it, some financial institutions will not make you pay anything for a checking account.
- Others will charge a fee if you don’t meet certain criteria, such as having a minimum direct deposit or performing a select number of debit transactions.
- If your bank or credit union offers checking accounts, then it should also provide a free way to access your money such as an ATM.
- Many online bank accounts now come with free use of thousands of ATMs nationwide, and many credit unions do the same through the ATM program.
- Today, almost every bank and credit union has a website and apps. This means you should be able to have access to your financial information, check your balance and deposit checks, perform simple transactions 24/7.
- Transferring money should also be free and quick to set up. However, moving money between banks may take a few days.
Overdraft fees can be steep, but your bank should provide an alternative if you do not have enough at the moment.
Compare Checking Account Options
Open your Huntington 5 Checking account today and enjoy:
• $200 bonus by making total deposits of at least $1,000 within 60 days of account opening. $200 will be deposited in your Huntington 5 Checking account after all requirements are met.
• Earn interest on all balance tiers
• 24-Hour Grace Overdraft Relief
• Five Non-Huntington ATM withdrawal fees waived per statement
• No minimum deposit needed to open
• Enjoy mobile & online banking
• 10% credit card rewards bonus
Open your Asterisk-Free Checking® account today and enjoy:
• $150 bonus by making total deposits of at least $1,000 within 60 days of account opening.
• Free to open and free to maintain with no monthly maintenance fees
• 24-Hour Grace Overdraft Relief
• All Day DepositSM
• Enjoy mobile & online banking
• Open a TD Beyond Checking account online and earn $300 when you receive direct deposits of $2,500 or more within 60 days of opening your account.
• With the TD Beyond Checking with Payback Plus, you'll earn interest and get reimbursed for fees like ATM transactions, overdrafts, Rush Bill Pay and outgoing wires – on top of all the perks you'd expect from everyday checking.
• Pay no monthly maintenance fee with monthly direct deposits of $5,000 or more, a minimum daily balance of $2,500, or a combined balance of $25,000 across your eligible TD accounts.
• TD Beyond Checking Review
With the TD Convenience CheckingSM Account:
• Earn $150 when you receive direct deposits totaling $500 or more within 60 days
• Low minimum daily balance of $100 waives the $15 monthly fee.
• Students and young adults ages 17 through 23 get additional perks like no minimum balance requirements and no monthly maintenance fee.
• Instantly replace a lost or worn debit card by visiting a TD Bank location near you
• Access accounts via Online Banking with Bill Pay, Online Statements and TD Bank Mobile Deposit, with 24/7 cash access at TD ATMs in the U.S. and Canada – plus 24/7 Live Customer Service
• Get a 0.25% discount on TD Bank Home Equity and Personal Loans
Compare Savings Account Options
With the CIT Bank Savings Builders account:
• Earn a top tier, competitive APY on your money—one of the top savings rates in the nation. Earn 0.50% APY on your funds - grow your savings faster.
• Build a habit of savings. Pay yourself first. Start with $100 per month and build your habit of savings-—all while getting a top rate.
• FDIC Insured
Open a Discover Online Savings Account for all these features:
• Earn high interest rate of 0.60% APY
• No minimum opening deposit, no minimum balance requirement, and now no fees
• Interest on Discover Online Savings Accounts is compounded daily and credited monthly
• Manage your account online or with the Discover mobile app
• FDIC insurance up to $250,000
See advertiser website for full details
• Earn 0.61% APY with interest compounded daily and no monthly fees with the Axos Bank High Yield Savings account
• No minimum balance requirements
• Free ATM card upon request
• $250 minimum opening deposit
• Free Incoming Wires
With the American Express® High Yield Savings Account:
• Earn 0.60% APY on your deposits. Your High Yield Savings account earns interest daily and is posted to your account monthly.
• Links easily with your current bank accounts. No need to switch banks.
• FDIC Insured. Your account is insured to at least $250,000 per depositor.
• No monthly fees, no minimum balance.
• 24/7 Account Access
• Enjoy a $150 bonus when you open a new Chase SavingsSM account, deposit a total of $10,000 or more in new money within 20 business days, and maintain a $10,000 balance for 90 days
• Access to 16,000 Chase ATMs and nearly 4,900 branches
• Link this account to your Chase checking account for Overdraft Protection.
• Chase Mobile® app – Manage your accounts, deposit checks, transfer money and more — all from your device.
• Open your account online now.
• Available online nationwide except in Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico. For branch locations, visit locator.chase.com.
Does your bank have these basic features? Be sure to do your research and take the necessary precautions. If it turns out your bank isn’t up to par, then maybe the solution is to open a new bank account.