Looking for the perfect go-to cash back credit card? Your search ends here with the all-in-one Chase Freedom® card. Continue reading our review of Chase Freedom card to learn about the $150 bonus.
Get a chance to earn a Chase Freedom bonus of $150 after spending at least $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening! Best of all, this card has no annual fee! Read on to see why this is the best all-around card to have in your wallet! Learn more about the Chase Freedom card below.
The $150 bonus that the Chase Freedom® offers is quite appealing. However, you can also earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories every quarter you activate to participate!
The thing about this card is that it keeps you excited with it's new 5% bonus categories each quarter. All you have to do is make sure you see what categories are in which quarter and activate them to participate.
If you didn't get points for a certain category, you're still automatically earning 1% cash back on all other purchases. This seemingly simplistic card is the gateway to earning cash back on purchases you'd never get back elsewhere.
I'll review the Chase Freedom bonus offer below.
Table of Contents
Chase Freedom Bonus
Chase Freedom Card Benefits
The Chase Freedom® Card is the go-to card for these reasons:
- An easy bonus. Enjoy a $150 bonus after spending just $500 on purchases in your first three months from account opening. This is amongst the highest you will get out of credit cards with no annual fee. Other rewards credit cards have much higher spending thresholds required to score the promotion.
- Bonus cash back. Every quarter, earn a huge 5% cash back bonus in select categories that people usually spend a lot of money on. This is the most notable feature of this card. Categories in the past have included gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants, drugstores and wholesale clubs. You’ll earn 1% cash back for all other purchases that fall out of the featured categories.
- Introductory APR. The Chase Freedom® comes with a 0% Intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable APR will apply. The introductory rate can give you time to pay off a big purchase or consolidate your debt onto one card.
- Easy redemption. Redeem your rewards for cash back for your choice of a statement credit, direct deposit, gift cards, or a paper check.
- Accepted worldwide. Not all cards are accepted everywhere, but if you’re out of the U.S., the Chase Freedom® is accepted almost all over the world. This will serve you well if this is the credit card you’re carrying.
- No annual fee.
- Shop online for better rewards. If you shop through Chase’s online shopping portal, you can earn even more cash rewards, ranging from 1% to 15%, depending on the merchant, at select online retailers. The list of merchants changes from time to time, so be sure to check back.
- Rewards don’t expire as long as your Chase Freedom® account remains open.
Chase Freedom Card Pitfalls
You may not like the Chase Freedom® Card due to these reasons:
- Keeping up with the rotating rewards categories. You must pay attention to rotating rewards categories to get your 5% cash back bonus. Think before you shop to make sure you’re getting the most rewards possible. For some people, this may add some fun to shopping. For others, it might just be a hassle to keep up with. The most you can get back at the 5% level is $75 per quarter since you’re capped at $1,500 on combined purchases in the bonus categories. Then, you’ll earn 1% cash back for the remainder of the quarter. If you’re not into rotating reward categories, consider the Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express.
- Quarterly sign ups. You must sign up to activate the rewards each quarter. Set a notification on your phone or in your calendar so you’ll remember to sign up to reap the 5% bonus categories. If that sounds like a hassle, you may want a credit card that has a more consistent rewards program, like the Chase Freedom Unlimited® Card.
- May elicit overspending habits. With this card, you may be tempted to purchase things you don’t need due to the different bonus categories each quarter just to get the higher percentage of rewards. I know I can’t tell you that you can’t make those purchases, but be aware and remember to have self-control.
- A foreign transaction fee. If you’re a frequent traveler, the 3% foreign transaction fee may turn you away. Consider the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card if you’re looking to convert your Chase points to a participating travel program. If you don’t want to play the points and airline miles game, consider the Barclaycard Arrival Plus® Card and earn 2x miles on every purchase.
- High credit requirement. If you have low or don’t have good credit, you may not be able to qualify for this card. Chase usually requires good to excellent credit for their cards.
Chase Freedom 5% Cash Back Categories
Earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate. Chase likes to announce its 5% bonus cash back categories before each quarter. Keep up with them by bookmarking our reviews and activate your 5% here!
- First Quarter 5% Categories (Jan – Mar)
- Second Quarter 5% Categories (Apr – June)
- Third Quarter 5% Categories (July – Sept)
- Fourth Quarter 5% Categories (Aug – Dec)
Bonus categories for 2018:
- Q1 2018: January – March: Gas Stations, Internet/Cable/Phone Services, Chase Pay, Android Pay, Apple Pay, Samsung Pay
- Q2 2018: April – June: Groceries, PayPal, Chase Pay
- Q3 2018: July – September: Gas stations, Walgreens, and Lyft
- Q4 2018: October – December: Wholesale Clubs, Department Stores, and Chase Pay
Bonus categories for 2017:
- Q1 2017: January – March: Gas Stations and Local Commuter Transportation
- Q2 2017: April – June: Grocery Stores
- Q3 2017: July – September: Restaurants and Movie Theaters
- Q4 2017: October – December: Walmart and Department Stores
Chase Freedom Cash Back
The Chase Freedom® is a great card that has a lot of amazing features. Earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate. It's quite easy to activate the cash back feature. This way, it's fresh in your mind of what cash back possibilities lie in the next quarter!
Each quarter you can reap the benefits from new 5% categories every 3 months such as gas stations, restaurants, wholesale clubs, and much more. Worried about using this card outside of the cash back categories? Don't fret! You'll automatically receive unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases.
This is amazing cash back categories on top of your Chase Freedom bonus offer.
Chase Freedom Online Shopping Cash Back
Perhaps the best benefit of using the Chase Freedom® is that cardholders can earn up to 10% cash back when they go online and shop at select merchants through Chase Ultimate Rewards® shopping portal. Within this shopping portal you'll find tons of merchants that will aid in your online shopping habit. Don't lose out on maximizing your cash back earnings by shopping outside of shopping portals, especially with the Chase Freedom®, you'll be earning while you hit checkout on your online shopping spree!
Chase Freedom Rewards Redemption
Redeem your accumulated cash back for statement credit, bank account deposit, gift card, or purchases made through Chase’s Ultimate Rewards shopping portal. There’s no minimum to redeem and your cash back earnings never expire.
Ultimate Rewards Transfers
We haven’t yet accounted for the unlimited amount of 1 points earned for each $1 spent on all other purchases. You can begin to understand how you can earn more money back in your wallet. Through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, points can also be redeemed for Amazon purchases, gift cards, and travel. Use Shop through Chase® to earn 1% – 15% extra cash back at more than 200 popular retailers online.
Transfer Rewards to Chase Sapphire Preferred® – Reward points earned with Chase Freedom® can be transferred to the premium Chase Sapphire Preferred® card for extra point value of 1.25 (20% discount) or the Chase Sapphire ReserveSM card for an extra point value of 1.50. Of course, you must redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards.
Moving Chase Freedom points to either Chase Sapphire card will also allow you to further transfer those points to Chase partners at a 1 to 1 ratio. Notable Chase partners include Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards®, British Airways Executive Club, Hyatt Gold Passport®, and The Ritz-Carlton Rewards® to name a few. Those who travel often will appreciate the added value of this benefit.
Having a Chase Freedom® card will require some work to fully get the most out of what it has to offer. The 5% cash back bonus categories rotate and change every quarter. You must log into your account to activate in order to receive the 5% cash back. Activation is to be completed by the due date or you will miss out.
Want to gain extra value on your Chase Freedom reward points? You must transfer those points to Chase Sapphire Preferred®, of which you will need to apply and get approved. See what we have to say about Chase Sapphire Preferred®.
If you're intrigued by a no annual fee and an amazing cash back credit card, sign up to get the Chase Freedom® bonus today! You can earn an easy $150 bonus after spending $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening. Plus, participate in exciting quarterly cash back categories!
This card is a must have card to your ever growing credit card stash, not just because of the bonus, but also the ability to earn 5% cash back every quarter on different cash back categories!
This beats all other cash back credit cards due to the higher cash back percentage PLUS the sweet bonus you'll earn with your new card. Hurry and sign up for this card and head over to check out other credit card offerings exclusively here on HMB! Interested in banking with Chase? See our list of promotions from Chase Bank!
Check back and find the latest updates for Chase Freedom bonus, offer, and promotion.
(Visit Chase for more details)
|Chase Ink Business PreferredSM Card||80,000 Points||Review|
|Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card||60,000 Points||Review|
|Chase Ink Business UnlimitedSM Credit Card||$500 Cash||Review|
|Chase Ink Business CashSM Card||$500 Cash||Review|
|Chase Freedom®||$150 Cash||Review|
|Chase Freedom Unlimited®||3% Cash Back||Review|
|UnitedSM Explorer Business Card||50,000 Miles||Review|
|ABOC Platinum Rewards Mastercard®||$150 Cash||Review|
Disclaimer: This content is not provided or commissioned by the credit card issuer. Opinions expressed here are author’s alone, not those of the credit card issuer, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through the credit card issuer Affiliate Program.