Below chart gives you the Credit Cards 5% Cash Back Quarterly Categories for several cards like the Chase Freedom Flex / Freedom, Discover It, Citi Custom Cash, U.S. Bank Cash+, and more.
If you’re the type to have many credit cards to maximize your return/rewards, it can be a lot to keep up with, but keeping track of which card is optimum for certain purchases is paramount.
Below you’ll see a list of the credit cards that earn 5% cash back.
Table of Contents
- 1 2023 Credit Card 5% Cash Back Categories
- 2 Earn 5% Back
- 3 Bottom Line
2023 Credit Card 5% Cash Back Categories
|Credit Card||5% Cash Back Limits||Activate||Review|
|Chase Freedom Flex|
|Up to $1,500/quarter spent in bonus categories||Activate||Review|
|US Bank Cash+|
|Up to $2,000/quarter spent in bonus categories||Activate||Review|
|Up to $1,500/quarter spent in bonus categories||Activate||Review
|Ink Business Cash® Card|
|Up to $25,000 per year on office supply stores, internet, cable, & phone services||N/A||Review
|Citi Custom CashSM Card|
|Up to $500 each month spent on highest category||N/A||Review|
|Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express|
|6% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases.|
6% Cash Back on select U.S. streaming subscriptions.
|Amazon Business American Express Card|
|Up to $120K per year. 5% at Amazon & Whole Foods|
*Must have Amazon Prime
|Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card|
|No Limit, Year Round. 5% at Amazon & Whole Foods.|
*Must have Amazon Prime
|Target REDcard||No Limit, Year Round @ Target||N/A||Review|
|Abound Visa® Platinum Credit Card||5% cash back on gas||N/A||Review|
|AAA Daily Advantage Visa Signature® Credit Card ($100 bonus)||5% cash back on grocery store purchases||N/A||Review|
|AAA Travel Advantage Visa Signature® Credit Card ($100 bonus)||5% cash back on gas purchases and electric vehicle-charging stations||N/A||Review|
|U.S. Bank Shopper Cash Rewards Visa Signature® Card ($250 bonus)||6% cash back on top 2 retailers for the first $1,500 per quarter||N/A||Review|
Earn 5% Back
Chase Freedom Flex / Chase Freedom
Below are the categories for 2023:
- January-March 2023: Grocery, Target, Fitness (excluding Walmart) and eBay (Activate by March 14, 2023)
- April-June 2023: Coming Soon (Activate starting March 15, 2023)
- July-September 2023: Coming Soon (Activate starting June 15, 2023)
- October-December 2023: Coming Soon (Activate starting September 15, 2023)
(Activate Your 5% at Chase)
The Chase Freedom FlexSM offers a $200 bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening.
0% Intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable APR of 19.24% - 27.99%.
• Earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate. Enjoy new 5% categories each quarter!
• 5% cash back on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards, our premier rewards program that lets you redeem rewards for cash back, travel, gift cards and more
• 3% cash back on drugstore purchases and dining at restaurants, including takeout and eligible delivery service
• Unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases
You cash back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open and there is no minimum to redeem for cash back.
This card has no annual fee.
Below are the cash back categories for 2023:
- January-March 2023: Grocery, Drugstores, Streaming (Ends 3/31/2023)
- April-June 2023: Coming Soon (Activation begins 2/1/2023)
- July-September 2023: Coming Soon (Activation begins 5/1/2023)
- October-December 2023: Coming Soon (Activation begins 8/1/2023)
(Learn more at Discover)
Editor’s Note: Sign up through our referral link for a $50 bonus.
US Bank Cash+ (Choice of 2 Categories):
Earn 5% cash back on your first $2,000 in combined net purchases in your chosen 5% categories
- Choose two of the following:
- TV, Internet, and Streaming Services
- Home utilities
- Select clothing stores
- Cell phone providers
- Electronic Stores
- Fast food
- Ground Transportation
- Sporting goods
- Department Stores
- Furniture Stores
- Movie theaters
(Activate Now at U.S. Bank)
The U.S. Bank Cash+® Visa Signature® Card offers $200 bonus after spending $1,000 in eligible purchases within the first 120 days of account opening.
0% Intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for the first 15 billing cycles. After that, a variable APR currently 18.74% - 28.74%
You'll be able to earn:
• 5% cash back on your first $2,000 in combined eligible purchases each quarter on two categories you choose.
• 5% cash back on prepaid air, hotel and car reservations booked directly in the Rewards Center.
• 2% cash back on one everyday category, like Gas Stations/EV Charging Stations, Grocery Stores or Restaurants.
• 1% cash back on all other eligible purchases.
This card comes with no annual fee. Terms and conditions apply.
Citi Custom CashSM Card:
Earn 5% cash back on purchases in your *Single* top eligible spend category each billing cycle, up to the first $500 spent. Repeat every month. No enrolling. Just earning.
- Gas stations
- Grocery stores
- Select travel
- Select transit
- Select streaming services
- Home improvement stores
- Fitness clubs
- Live entertainment
The Citi CustomSM Cash Card offers $200 cash back after you spend $1,500 on purchases in the first 6 months of account opening. This bonus offer will be fulfilled as 20,000 ThankYou® Points, which can be redeemed for $200 cash back.
0% Intro APR on balance transfers and purchases for 15 months. After that, the variable APR will be 18.24% - 28.24%, based on your creditworthiness.
• 5% cash back on purchases in your top eligible spend category each billing cycle, up to the first $500 spent
• 1% cash back thereafter. Also, earn unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases.
No rotating bonus categories to sign up for – as your spending changes each billing cycle, your earn adjusts automatically when you spend in any of the eligible categories.
The eligible spend categories are: Restaurants, Gas Stations, Grocery Stores, Select Travel, Select Transit, Select Streaming Services, Drugstores, Home Improvement Stores, Fitness Clubs and Live Entertainment.
This card has no annual fee.
Ink Business Cash® Credit Card:
Earn 5% Cash Back on the first $25,000 spent in combined purchases each account anniversary year.
- Office supply stores
- On internet, cable and phone services
The Ink Business Cash® Credit Card offers $900 bonus cash back after you spend $6,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
You'll earn 5% cash back on the first $25,000 spent in combined purchases at office supply stores and on internet, cable and phone services each account anniversary year, 2% cash back on the first $25,000 spent in combined purchases at gas stations and restaurants each account anniversary year, & 1% cash back on all other card purchases with no limit to the amount you can earn.
This card comes with no annual fee. You'll be able to take advantage of employee cards at no additional cost.
American Express Blue Cash Preferred Card
- 6% cash back at US supermarkets all year long (on up to $6,000 per year)
- 6% cash back at select US streaming subscriptions (includes Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+, Netflix, Sling, Vudu, Fubo TV, Apple Music, SiriusXM, Pandora, Spotify, YouTube TV, and more).
- 3% cash back at US gas stations and transit (taxis/rideshare, parking, tolls, trains, buses and more).
The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express offers a $250 statement credit after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 6 months.
Buy Now, Pay Later: Enjoy $0 intro plan fees when you use Plan It(R) to split up large purchases into monthly installments. Pay $0 intro plan fees on plans created during the first 12 months from the date of account opening. Plans created after that will have a monthly plan fee up to 1.33% of each eligible purchase amount moved into a plan based on the plan duration, the APR that would otherwise apply to the purchase, and other factors.
Low intro APR: 0% for 12 months on purchases from the date of account opening, then a variable rate, 18.24% to 29.24%
• 6% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%).
• 6% Cash Back on select U.S. streaming subscriptions.
• 3% Cash Back at U.S. gas stations and on transit (including taxis/rideshare, parking, tolls, trains, buses and more).
• 1% Cash Back on other purchases.
Get $7 back each month after using your Blue Cash Preferred Card to spend $12.99 or more each month on an eligible subscription to The Disney Bundle, which includes Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+. Enrollment required.
The card does come with a $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95. (See Rates & Fees)
Amazon Prime Rewards Card
Earn 5% back at Amazon.com and Whole Foods all year long. Prime membership required. New cardholder bonus varies by person. No annual fee.
Keeping up with the cash/points back features of each card can be a juggle if you have several cards. Earning these rewards can definitely pile up over time with the potential to earn hundreds to even thousands of dollars per year depending your spending & strategy.
With that being said, it’s all in all free money right back in your pocket no matter how small or big your purchase as it will add up over the course of time. You’ll be able to redeem the rewards as statement credit, hotels, vacations, flights, gift cards, cash, and more!