If you live in the Western region, you’re sure to have heard of Bank of The West. However, is it worth putting your money into, or is it just another bank with low rates.
Established in California in 1870, it quickly expanded and now operates in 19 states along the Western region of the US. It has a wide variety of Checking, Savings, and CDs for their customers.
If you’re interested in what this bank has to offer, continue reading down below to learn more.
Table of Contents
- 1 Checking Account Options
- 2 Compare Checking Accounts
- 3 Savings Account Options
- 4 Compare Savings Accounts
- 5 Compare Money Market Accounts
- 6 CD Account Options
- 7 Compare CD Accounts
- 8 Reasons To Bank With Bank Of The West
- 9 Reasons Not To Bank
- 10 How Bank Of The West Compares
- 11 Bank of the West Routing Number
- 12 Contact Customer Service
- 13 Compare to Other Banks
- 14 Bottom Line
Checking Account Options
At Bank of the West, you can choose from the following two checking accounts:
This account is your standard checking account. If comes with a complimentary debit card and free access online or through mobile banking.
This account earns its name, because the monthly maintenance fee of $25 can be waived with a monthly deposit. It can also be waived if the customers is under the age of 25.
This account is great for those with a significant amount of money. The monthly maintenance fee can be waived with a minimum monthly balance of $25,000. Along with the usual checking account services, you’ll be able to make fee-free withdrawals from ATMs, including non-Bank of the West ATMs.
You’ll earn interest on your money and you may get discounted rates on loans. You may even be eligible for higher interest rates on CDs and Money Market accounts. As an added bonus, Bank of the West offers commission-free trades for online equity and ETFs per month.
Compare Checking Accounts
• New Chase checking customers enjoy a $200 bonus when you open a Chase Total Checking® account and set up direct deposit
• Access to 16,000 Chase ATMs and more than 4,700 branches
• Chase Mobile® app - Manage your accounts, deposit checks, transfer money and more -- all from your device.
• Open your account online now
• Available online nationwide except in Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico. For branch locations, visit locator.chase.com.
• Chase Overdraft AssistSM: $0 overdraft fee when you overdraw your account $50 or less*
*We won't charge an overdraft fee if you are overdrawn $50 or less at the end of the business day. Chase may pay, for a $34 fee, overdraft transactions at our discretion based on your account history, deposits and transaction amount. If you've enrolled in Debit Card Coverage, everyday debit card purchases like groceries, may be approved at our discretion when you don't have enough money in your account.
Open your Huntington 25 Checking account today and enjoy:
• $300 bonus by making cumulative new money deposits of at least $25,000 within 60 days of account opening. $300 will be deposited in your new account within 14 days of meeting requirements.
• 24-Hour Grace Overdraft Fee Relief. It is designed to give you more time to make a deposit in order to avoid an Overdraft Fee.
• Earn Interest on Balances.
• Free ATM Withdrawals. They’ll waive all non-Huntington ATM cash withdrawal fees at any ATM and reimburse you for some withdrawal fees charged by another ATM owner.
• Waived Monthly Maintenance Fee
• Credit score and identity monitoring at no added cost
Savings Account Options
Bank of the West only has two savings options:
You need just $25 to open this savings account. You can access your account/funds online, at a Bank of the West ATM or at a Bank of the West branch.
It does have a small monthly maintenance fee, but you can get it waived by setting up auto-save with at least $25 for each deposit. It can also be waived by carrying an average balance of $300.
This account can be opened with as little as $100. The monthly maintenance fee can be waived by having a monthly average balance of $5,000; to have a Premier Checking account, you’ll need to have auto-save set up with deposits of at least $75. You may earn tiered interest rates on this account, which means you can earn more interest on higher balances.
Compare Savings Accounts
With the CIT Bank Savings Builders account:
• Earn a top tier, competitive APY on your money—one of the top savings rates in the nation. Earn up to 0.55% APY on your funds - grow your savings faster.
• Build a habit of savings. Pay yourself first. Start with $100 per month and build your habit of savings-—all while getting a top rate.
• FDIC Insured
With the American Express® High Yield Savings Account:
• Earn 0.60% APY as of 4/28/22 on your deposits. Your High Yield Savings account earns interest daily and is posted to your account monthly.
• Links easily with your current bank accounts. No need to switch banks.
• FDIC Insured. Your account is insured to at least $250,000 per depositor.
• 24/7 Account Access
Open a Discover Online Savings Account for all these features:
• Bonus offer applies for your first Discover Online Savings Account
• Earn $200/$150 Bonus with promo code HMB222 by 06/15/2022
• Fund your first savings account with at least of $25K within 30 days of account open date to earn the $200 Bonus
• Fund your first savings account with at least of $15K within 30 days of account open date to earn the $150 Bonus
• Earn high interest rate of 0.60% APY
• No minimum opening deposit, no minimum balance requirement, and now no fees
• Interest on Discover Online Savings Accounts is compounded daily and credited monthly
• Manage your account online or with the Discover mobile app
• FDIC insurance up to $250,000
See advertiser website for full details
Compare Money Market Accounts
• Get started and open a Discover Money Market Account in 3 easy steps.
• Available nationwide online
• Earn high yields with flexible access to your cash.
• Earn 0.55% APY balances $100,000 and over
• Earn 0.50% APY balances under $100,000
• Open with as little as $2,500.
• No hidden fees. No surprises.
• Easy cash access via debit or check, or via ATM at over 60,000 no-fee ATMs
With the CIT Bank Money Market Account, you can earn a competitive interest rate and access your money easily.
• Earn 0.70% APY on your funds
• One of the nation's top rates — several times the national average.
• Get up to 6 digital transfers/withdrawals per statement cycle
• Save smart and get more for your money
• Higher rates than traditional banks
• Get 24/7 Account Access
• Secure banking features
• Open with as little as $100
• FDIC insured
CD Account Options
A CD account is a better option if you are looking for a predictable return on your money.
With $1,000, you can open a 32-day to a 60-month CD. You’ll earn a fixed interest rate on your money and you have the ability to have your CD automatically renewed at maturity. It will be renewed at the market rate at that time.
With $2,500, you can open the Premium CD with terms ranging between 91 days and 60 months. This CD also offers a fixed interest rate and can be renewed at maturity. You have a 10-day grace period to decide if you want to renew it or withdraw the funds.
You can open a Relationship CD, if you have a Premier Checking account, it offers higher interest rates. It’s only available in a 1-month term and also has the ability to be automatically renewed at maturity.
Compare CD Accounts
• Available nationwide online, Discover offers CDs with some of the highest & most competitive rates! with select terms as short as 3 months up to 120 months
• Rates ranging from 0.20% APY up to 2.15% APY.
• Opening a Discover Bank Certificate of Deposit is extremely quick and easy.
• Funds on deposit are FDIC-insured up to the maximum allowed by law.
• Start today with a minimum deposit of $2,500!
• Get started and open a Discover CD in 3 easy steps.
• Available online nationwide
• Earn 0.30% APY on a 12-Month CD Term
• Earn up to 0.50% APY
• $1,000 minimum to open
• Selection of terms to meet your needs
• A range of choices. Low minimum deposits.
• No fees to open or maintain the account
• Available as Custodial
• Open a CIT Bank Certificate of Deposit Account today!
Reasons To Bank With Bank Of The West
- Their online banking comes with many more features than just checking your balance or transferring funds. You can compare your spending habits, create budgets, start savings goals, and send money to friends and family electronically.
- No minimum requirement on any of their checking accounts.
- The Bank of the West mobile app is intuitive and feature-rich. Not only can you conduct the same tasks you could with online banking, but you can also pay bills and deposit checks on the go. Simply snap a picture of the front and back of your check and you can deposit a check right from your phone.
- They have a $5 buffer on overdraft fees. If your overdraft is $5 or less, they’ll spare you the $35 fee.
- You have two options for overdraft protection coverage. You can open a Gold Line Account, which is a line of credit and is subject to approval. You can also link your Bank of the West savings account to your checking account for automatic overdraft protection.
- Bank of the West focuses on how they can help make changes in the world. They put their effort into investing in communities, women in entrepreneurship, saving the planet, and corporate social responsibility, just to name a few of the causes they support.
Reasons Not To Bank
- Their coverage is fairly small. Unless you live in the Western region, you may want to look elsewhere for in-person banking.
- The best rates Bank of the West offers are on their 5-year CDs. The other accounts offer minimal interest that hardly compares with their online competitors. If you are using the bank for convenience rather than earnings, it can be worth it.
- They Only have two checking account options.
How Bank Of The West Compares
- Wells Fargo: They have 5,800 branches in 39 states, and more than 13,000 free ATMs, which makes them much more accessible. Wells Fargo offers a few more choices for checking and savings accounts. They also have options just for teens or those looking for “second-chance checking.”
- Bank of America: Additionally, BoA is in more than 35 states and has 4,400 branches in those states, giving them equal coverage to Wells Fargo. They have extended customer service hours and a variety of ways to waive the monthly maintenance fees on their accounts. Their offerings are about the same as Bank of the West and their interest rates are comparable to Bank of the West as well.
- US Bank: Operates in approximately 26 states and has more than 3,000 branches. US Bank does have a wider variety of choices for bank accounts, as they have seven checking accounts and eight savings accounts to choose from. Like most big banks, though, they do charge monthly maintenance fees and pay low interest rates.
Bank of the West Routing Number
The main routing number is 121100782. To find find this routing number, you can simply check the bottom left corner of your checks – check to see if this number differs.
Contact Customer Service
Reach Bank of the West Customer Service at 1-800-382-5465.
In addition, you’re able to fill out an online Customer Service Request, but a response can to take between one and two business days.
Compare to Other Banks
Choosing a bank that best suits your needs is a crucial decision. You’ll be investing time and money into these institutions and will need to make the right choice and be sure the bank/credit union will offer you what you need.
It’s very important to keep in mind the potential fees that may incur and how to avoid them if possible. If Bank Of The West has the variety and options you’re looking for, apply today!
- How To Find and Use Your Bank of the West Login
- What Are Bank of the West’s Hours?
- Bank of the West Routing Number