The most notable feature that Union Bank has to offer is designing your own checking account! To find out if Union Bank is right for you, continue reading the review below.
Union Bank offers simple banking accounts for all kinds of people at any age. Children and teenagers can even start their own savings accounts, but they will have to look further into these options.
With the Banking By Design checking account option, you can add certain features to your checking account to function as a combined checking and savings or whatever else.
If you prefer a basic approach to banking, then consider the benefits that Union Bank has to offer.
See our best bank bonuses updated daily to earn up to $1,000 in free money. Find popular checking offers such as Chase Bank, HSBC Bank, TD Bank, Huntington Bank, BBVA, Discover Bank, and CIT Bank. See our best rates for Savings and CD too.
|Chase Business Complete BankingSM $300 Bonus||HSBC Premier Checking Up To $600|
|HSBC Premier Checking $450 Bonus||TD Bank Convenience Checking $150 Bonus|
|TD Bank Beyond Checking $300 Bonus||Huntington Business Checking 100 $200 Bonus|
|Huntington 25 Checking $300 Bonus||Huntington Unlimited Plus Business Checking $750 Bonus|
|Huntington Unlimited Business Checking $400 Bonus||Aspiration Spend & Save Account $100 Bonus|
|Ally Invest Up To $3,000 Bonus||Discover Bank $360 Cashback Debit|
|Axos Basic Business Checking $100 Bonus||BlockFi Up To $250 BTC Bonus|
|WeBull 2 Free Stocks||BBVA Free Checking & Savings $250 Bonus|
Table of Contents
- 1 Checking Account Options
- 2 Compare Checking Accounts
- 3 Savings Account Options
- 4 Compare Savings Accounts
- 5 Money Market Account Options
- 6 Compare Money Market Accounts
- 7 CD Account Options
- 8 Compare CD Accounts
- 9 Reasons To Bank with Union Bank
- 10 Reasons Not To Bank with Union Bank
- 11 Union Bank Routing Number
- 12 Contact Customer Service
- 13 How Union Bank Compares
- 14 Bottom Line
Checking Account Options
With each Union Bank checking account option, it offer mobile banking making it easy to check balances, pay bills, transfer funds, and activate your bank cards.
This checking account comes with a monthly fee, but you can waive it by having $50,000 in combined Union Bank deposits. Another option is to have a Union Bank mortgage set up on autopay.
You will also need $1,000 to open this checking account.
This account contains access to unlimited features such as in-branch banking, check supply and an access to one linked checking or savings account.
Although there are free of charge, there are, however, exclusive benefits that has a monthly charge.
These benefits include two non-Union Bank ATM transactions, incoming wire transfers, cashier’s check or money orders, all free of charge.
To waive the monthly fee, you have to have a combined direct deposit of $500 or a combined balance of $5,000.
You will need $100 as a starting balance to open this account.
With this account, Union Bank allows you to design your own checking account. Aside from the basic features that each Union Bank account has, you can add onto it.
However, there is a cost per month for each additional benefit.
You will need $100 to open the account, but you can waive the monthly fee with a $250 monthly direct deposit.
Compare Checking Accounts
Open your Huntington 25 Checking account today and enjoy:
• $300 bonus by making cumulative new money deposits of at least $25,000 within 60 days of account opening. $500 will be deposited in your new account within 14 days of meeting requirements.
• 24-Hour Grace Overdraft Fee Relief. It is designed to give you more time to make a deposit in order to avoid an Overdraft Fee.
• Earn Interest on Balances. 0.05% Annual Percentage Yield applies to all balance tiers.
• Free ATM Withdrawals. They’ll waive all non-Huntington ATM cash withdrawal fees at any ATM and reimburse you for some withdrawal fees charged by another ATM owner.
• Waived Monthly Maintenance Fee
• Credit score and identity monitoring at no added cost
Savings Account Options
Union Bank has very few saving account options, and two of them function as money markets, which means these saving accounts allows you to earn interest as a money market rate.
If you are someone who don’t have a lot of money to save in the first place, then this account would be the most beneficial.
To open this account, you only need $50. From there you will have access to different interest rates.
To waive the monthly fee, you will need at least a balance of $300.
With only just $1, you can start a savings account for your children ages 8-12 years old, and teens ages 13-17 years old. This allows your kids to have access to a checking account on their own as well.
All these accounts must be jointed with a parent or guardian.
Compare Savings Accounts
With the American Express® High Yield Savings Account:
• Earn 0.40% APY on your deposits. Your High Yield Savings account earns interest daily and is posted to your account monthly.
• Links easily with your current bank accounts. No need to switch banks.
• FDIC Insured. Your account is insured to at least $250,000 per depositor.
• No monthly fees, no minimum balance.
• 24/7 Account Access
With the CIT Bank Savings Builders account:
• Earn a top tier, competitive APY on your money—one of the top savings rates in the nation. Earn 0.40% APY on your funds - grow your savings faster.
• Build a habit of savings. Pay yourself first. Start with $100 per month and build your habit of savings-—all while getting a top rate.
• FDIC Insured
Open a Discover Online Savings Account for all these features:
• Earn high interest rate of 0.40% APY
• No minimum opening deposit, no minimum balance requirement, and now no fees
• Interest on Discover Online Savings Accounts is compounded daily and credited monthly
• Manage your account online or with the Discover mobile app
• FDIC insurance up to $250,000
See advertiser website for full details
Money Market Account Options
Money Market accounts allow for a higher yield and gives access to your funds with either checks or a bankcard. Union Bank offers savings accounts that act as money market accounts, earning competitive interest rates instead.
Since this savings account earns money market interest rates, you will need $2,500 to open it. You can earn competitive interest rates as you deposit more money into this account.
This account also comes with written paper check privilege and you can write up to 6 checks per month.
To waive the monthly fee, you will need at least a balance of $2,500.
You need $2,500 to open this account and you’ll have to maintain at least a $2,500 balance to waive the maintenance fee.
You can write up to six checks from this account per month. Your money will earn competitive interest rates in this account.
You will need to link a Union Bank checking account to qualify for this account.
To waive the monthly fee, you will also need to have a minimum of $10,000.
This account also comes with check writing privilege and you can write up to 6 per month.
Compare Money Market Accounts
• Earn 0.60% APY with the Axos Bank High Yield Money Market
• FDIC Insured
• Check writing privileges
• No monthly maintenance fees
• No minimum balance requirements
• Debit card transactions
• Minimum Balance Required to Open the Account: $ 1000.00
With the CIT Bank Money Market Account, you can earn a competitive interest rate and access your money easily.
• Earn 0.45% APY on your funds
• One of the nation's top rates — several times the national average.
• Get up to 6 digital transfers/withdrawals per statement cycle
• Save smart and get more for your money
• Higher rates than traditional banks
• Get 24/7 Account Access
• Secure banking features
• Open with as little as $100
• FDIC insured
CD Account Options
Union Bank doesn’t offer a lot of CD options, but their CD do vary from 7 days to 5 years. Each of their CD earn a fixed interest rate, and they are based on tiers.
You can open most Union Bank CDs with just $350.
Compare CD Accounts
• Available online nationwide
• Earn 0.30% APY on a 12-Month CD Term
• Earn up to 0.50% APY
• $1,000 minimum to open
• Selection of terms to meet your needs
• A range of choices. Low minimum deposits.
• No fees to open or maintain the account
• Available as Custodial
• Open a CIT Bank Certificate of Deposit Account today!
With the CIT Bank No-Penalty 11-Month CD:
• Earn 0.30% APY on your funds with just a $1,000 minimum deposit.
• The perfect balance between a great fixed rate and flexible money access.
• Access funds, if needed. No penalty.
• No opening or maintenance fees
• Shorter 11-month timeframe and a great APY
• If you need your funds prior to the maturity date, you can withdraw your money — including any interest earned — beginning seven days after the funds have been received. No penalty. No problem. It's the security of a CD with the flexibility to access your funds early if you need them.
Reasons To Bank with Union Bank
- You can link your savings account to your checking account to ensure overdraft protection. Union bank will transfer funds from your linked accounts. There is an overdraft transfer fee should you need to opt for it.
- Set up automatic transfers from your checking to savings account and Union Bank will take care of the rest for you.
- Union Bank encourages kids and young teens to start saving up with a minimum opening deposit of only $1. They have a Kidz Savings for ages 8-12 years old, and Teen Savings for 13-17 year olds. Each of these banking services allows them to access their own checking account. However, all of these accounts must be joined with a parent or guardian.
- Union Bank’s deposits are FDIC insured up to $250,000 per account.
- College students can open a free “Ready to Go” Checking account. As long as the student is actively attending college, they are eligible to apply. There is, however, a $100 minimum deposit to open this account though.
- If you deposit your checks with the mobile app before 9 PM PST, your funds can be distributed to you the following business day.
- You can send money to your friends, family or anyone else through Union Bank’s mobile app.
- If you have a Priority Checking account, you can gain access to the Priority Banking Client Services team. You can also gain access by having an overall balance of $50,000 in your accounts or link a Union Bank mortgage.
- You can change banks with Union Bank; all you have to do is fill out a Direct Deposit Authorization form and Automatic Payment Authorization form. Once your past transactions have been cleared, you then fill out the Account Closure form and the switch should happen.
Reasons Not To Bank with Union Bank
- All features in the Union Bank checking accounts do require you to pay for them, so consider your options carefully.
- Union Bank only has locations in 7 states. If you don’t live in Illinois, Georgia, California, Washington, New York, Oregon, or Texas, there won’t be a physical Union Bank in your area. But, if you prefer online banking more, then this isn’t a big concern.
- In order to qualify for the Union Bank Money Market, you must have a checking account with Union Bank.
- Union Bank would not be the best choice for CD users since they don’t offer a lot of CD options.
Union Bank Routing Number
The routing number varies depending on state and region. You can find your routing number on the lower left corner of your UnionBank check.
Contact Customer Service
Union Bank’s customer service has different numbers depending on what state you live in. Check out their customer service page to find out more.
How Union Bank Compares
- Chase Bank: Chase is one of the biggest banks in the U.S and offers just about almost everything. Compared to its other competitors, Chase offers much more checking account options.
- TD Bank: TD Bank has similar options to Union Bank, but they offer bonuses for signing up for a checking account. They have various account options that suit all kinds of consumers as well.
- BMO Harris Bank: BMO Harris has a fee-free ATM network with more than 43,000 participating ATMs.
- Wells Fargo: Located throughout the US with over 5,800 branches and 13,000 ATMs. They offer a variety of deposits accounts, including accounts for teens and customers who need a second chance.
For those who aren’t looking for complex checking or saving account options, but are still interested in earning high interest rates, then Union Bank may suit your needs.
If you prefer a more manual way of banking, the “Banking By Design” checking account is a unique option for those who prefer combined checking accounts but don’t necessarily want everything that a normal tiered package might offer.
However, keep in mind that when you look for a checking or savings account be sure to look into all the fees charged. Don’t focus on the interest rate alone, but on what the account will cost you overall.
|Chase Business Complete BankingSM||$300 Cash||Review|
|HSBC Premier Checking Member FDIC||$450 Cash||Review|
|HSBC Premier Checking Member FDIC||Up To $600||Review|
|BBVA Free Checking & Savings||$250 Cash||Review|
|Huntington 25 Checking||$300 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Beyond Checking||$300 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Convenience CheckingSM||$150 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Unlimited Plus Business Checking||$750 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Unlimited Business Checking||$400 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Business Checking 100||$200 Cash||Review|
|Axos Bank Basic Business Checking||$100 Cash||Review|
|Aspiration Spend & Save Account||$100 Cash||Review|
|Ally Invest||Up to $3,000 Cash||Review|
|BlockFi||Up To $250 BTC||Review|
|American Express High Yield Savings||0.40% APY||Review|
|Discover Cashback Debit Account||$360 Cash||Review|